The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default November RPG: Final Fantasy III

Portability is the key to happiness, and I still need to go back and finish the portable version of FFIII. (They took away my review ROM while I was two rooms away from the final boss! Bastards.) This way we can also trade those Moogle mail codes or whatever. Yeah.

Final Fantasy III
Square (Square Enix) | Famicom/DS | RPG | 1990/2006

You can also play the 8-bit version... but why would you want to?

(Betting pool bonus: How many posts before Arkfullofsorrow comments on how this is the best RPG ever, while simultaneously insulting everyone else in the thread?)
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
You can also play the 8-bit version... but why would you want to?
Because it's not incredibly slow and broken like the DS version is?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I got this for my birthday a year ago, and I only played a little bit of it. This will make me start playing it again, but I probably won't finish it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Space Prez

I love the fun club for hitting all the RPG's I haven't finished. Here's hoping for FFXII.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Getting Equipped

This has been sitting in my backlog. I guess I will pop it in after I finish PW3 this weekend.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Now I feel all special for suggesting it. Anyway, my friend code for this game is 1633 2388 8772. Same as the price of a cheese pizza and large soda back where I used to work.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

You used to work at Panuchi's Pizza?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Excellent. I too have been meaning to get back to this -- and having just cleared out a stratum in Etrian Odyssey, now's a good time to swap back for a bit. (EO2 needs Geomancers.)

If you need someone to send gimmicky in-game mail to, feel free to add 296454 884071. Let me know if you do, or I probably won't notice for a while.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM

I've added you, but I can't send any mail until you add me. Damn friend codes.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
We have got the maxim gun

Damn, I need to finish FFL2 more quickly now.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Condiment connoisseur

This game is not afraid to murder you right as soon as you get out of the first dungeon. Random-ass really powerful skeletons are keeping me at bay, especially with me having to run away every other encounter.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Loves to overthink.

This works, hopefully I actually stick to it! I'm at Amur, kinda put down the game around then and gave into temptation and started up FFV. However, it's been awhile since I played that so maybe it's safe to jump back to III.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'm at the final dungeon, but can't beat any of the bosses in it because they're so crazy-powerful.

So instead, I'm going to pretend I DID beat it.

The ending is good.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Frazzled

I finished the game this morning, actually. I started playing it the day after Christmas last year and promptly ignored it until a couple of weeks ago. Even the final boss was a pushover at Level 62. (I entered the last dungeon at 60.)

I have zero interest in grinding 30 more levels to take on the hidden boss monster, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Find Your Reason

Ak. I hadn't counted on the DS Lite resetting the WiFi features I had saved during my DS Phat playthrough. Anyway, Mazian still shows up as a registered Friend, but nobody else on my list does. I added Gredlen, though.

My (new) Friend Code is 5412 8104 6522.

Tip: When you leave Canaan for Dragon's Peak, grind for Gil so you can afford at least two dozen Gold Needles. The nasties in the mountain are very likely to petrify you in one hit. For best results, don't use the Overworld, but go back to the Mythril Mines and slaughter skeletons.

There's plenty more hints for the second half of the game, too. I love how non-linear it is; it's similar to the original FF, as it gives you access to optional dungeons and towns that you can visit and exploit before getting to the actual story-related locations.

Last edited by Zef; 11-03-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Friend Code
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Ak. I hadn't counted on the DS Lite resetting the WiFi features I had saved during my DS Phat playthrough.
Friends lists are tied to a combination of specific cartridge and DS. It's probably a little too late now, but you can move (not copy) the DS part of the identification between two systems if you have both available at once - start the receiving DS in download play mode; then on the sending DS, go to the WFC Setup in any wireless-enabled game and choose "Options", then "Transfer Nintendo WFC Configuration".

Anyhow, back to the game. Having put it down for a few months, now I've forgotten what to do next. Time to wander the world with my airship until I find something that looks like plot.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
We just don't know.

Dammit, I just played it this summer. I didn't finish it, but I'm near the end I think? I just got the last set of jobs, and when I realized that I'd have to re-grind for some time to get my main character as a black belt to be nearly as powerful as my level 40some monk, I sort of just got tired.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Guy that flies so good.

So, the ultimate job weapons: first of all, mother^%*&*(@ whoever thought of making the mail system a requirement for getting them. Second of all, let me make sure I understand how the mognet think works: If two people exchange friend codes and register each other, one of them can send mail anytime they're connected to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, right? The manual makes it sound like email, where the message is stored on a server until the intended recipient checks for mail (or until it gets deleted).

Anyways, my friend code is 3351 1944 7964.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:18 AM

I have sent Mazian mail! Success!
I tried adding you, Zef, but it says there's an error with the friend code.
I've added Sapper Gopher, though. It does seem that the message is stored somewhere until the recipient checks their mail.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
sweepy

Mmm... Even though I bought it at release, I'm still trying to finish the DS version. I've gotten toward the end of the game for the third time now (meaning I've lost interest twice and started a new file after long periods of not playing). I'm further along this time, almost ready to head to the final area.

I dunno, I guess the combination of every job being pretty viable plus the lack of carry-over benefits (ala FFV) for leveling anything... just saps my motivation. I think adjusting the latter would have been straying too far from the original, so I guess I'm saying I would have liked a job progression more like the Famicom version. Maybe I just hate freedom.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Guy that flies so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
I've added Sapper Gopher, though.
Thanks, I'll add you to my list when I get a chance to go to a hotspot.

Now that we can use mognet, we can use it to exchange advice, comment on what we like and dislike, debate which jobs are the best, bitch about especially hard bosses, or discuss any other aspect of the game. All at long distance. Brilliant feature!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Obsession or passion?

Yep, the messages are stored on a server, at least temporarily, it's not a direct connection.

Some of the error messages could be due to different region games. For whatever strange reason, Square Enix decided to regionlock the Mognet.

By the way, writing long messages on Mognet is incredibly tedious thanks to the horribly misplaced space button.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 AM
For blood and gold

Given I'm right at the end of this game, I expect this week's fun club to not take me much time.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
I tried adding you, Zef, but it says there's an error with the friend code.
Ergh, typo; I've corrected the friend code in the post above. Sorry 'bout that :P Also, added Sapper Gopher and re-added Mazian (wouldn't let me send mail even though the FC was still registered?)
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
By the way, writing long messages on Mognet is incredibly tedious thanks to the horribly misplaced space button.
Seriously. The DS is capable of pretty decent text input, but only if the interface isn't screwed up. The numbers need to get replaced by the more common symbols and the space button.

I keep my network security on WPA, but when I get back from work tonight, I'll change it to WEP again and add you, Zef. Then it can be the Mailing Time.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Better be the real thing.

I beat the game a few months ago, and I don't plan on starting it again any time soon. But since everyone's posting friend codes, I figure I could use this opportunity to unlock some of the extras. My code is 094575096978. I've already added everybody else in this thread.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Swap Note RULES!

I will add you guys and help in the getting of stuff that is extra

Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I bought that game back when it first came out. I don't know, the DS version is pretty borked. It was fun for a while, but I ended up getting in this situation: I just unlocked the "best" jobs, but they were at a low level and I was about to go into the final dungeon. So, I could either use the super high level classes I had been using since the beginning which made the game a cake-a-walka, or use the "best" jobs which were so horribly gimped that I didn't stand a chance. Also, the whole "it's-new-school-but-we're-gonna-try-and-make-it-old-school-by-making-it-'hard'-
but-its-not-really-hard-there-are-just-no-save-points-and-lots-of-encounters" approach wasn't really that great. And the idea of adding an actual story to FFIII was a sound idea, but it's execution was horrible. There's a "new" story for maybe the first three hours, and then it's exactly like the original. Which is supposed to be cool, I guess, but instead I couldn't help but wonder why they even bothered. If you're going to update a game, update the whole damn thing.

So yeah, it was dumb. The NES (Famicom, whatever) version is fun as hell though, as long as you can tolerate an NES level of difficulty (translation: it's hard, and really cheap at times), and NES quality graphics and mechanics.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
So, I could either use the super high level classes I had been using since the beginning which made the game a cake-a-walka, or use the "best" jobs which were so horribly gimped that I didn't stand a chance.
I'd heard about this, but it wasn't actually a problem for me. I needed to grind a bit to survive the final area, so I switched jobs around before I started and did a bit of job grinding while I levelled. The new jobs wound up being at least as good as the old ones.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm not entirely sure where to go now that I've used the Chain Key. I suppose this isn't really a problem yet, as I'm definitely content with flying around the world and finding places to go.
I walked past some statues, but that ended up killing me. Then I found a cave with some enemy that multiplies before I can kill it and does enough damage that I think I should perhaps not be there yet. So I ran. I ran so far away.
Closed Thread