The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default FC12: Final Fantasy Legend / Makaitoushi SaGa

Phase One of the SaGa endeavor begins. We're gonna grok the highs and lows of this series. Ohhh, and are there some lows.

Final Fantasy Legend
Square | RPG | Game Boy | 1990

Has anyone ever noticed that the Japanese title of this game (Makaitoushi SaGa) is weirdly reminiscent of the creator's given name (Akitoshi)? Coincidence or hubris? Let's climb a tower together and kill God, and discuss.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Your imaginary pal

I never finished this game. Humans took too much grinding to use. Mutants were overpowered but remarkably inconsistent. Monsters were just unreliable.

I got stuck in that area with the dozen or so caves and island interconnected in a big sea. I stopped trying.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Level 10 Roustabout/Knave

Wow, the Pain SaGa begins the same moment that my Christmas Break does. This holiday is going to suck.
Oh well, time to try and figure out an optimal party to see if I can blow through this in a week while catching up on the rest of the best albums of 2007.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
You are Destiny.

Holds the title of Best game of my childhood alongside Link's Awakening, and (seriously) one of the reasons I left organized religion. It's had an incredibly profound effect on my life, even if it hasn't aged well.

Also, really fucking hard for a ten-year old. Every other RPG I played after that, however, was impeccably easy to parse, thus cementing me into the genre.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM
who's she

There's nothing in FFL that wasn't done better in FFL2. And the horrible idea of characters having a limited number of ressurections is enough to stop me from playing it again.

Although it was cool, in a stupid kind of way, that you could choose not to hire a full party.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMX View Post
and (seriously) one of the reasons I left organized religion.
That's sort of awesome. Care to share?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Awesome View Post
I'm guessing that after finishing the game he was inspired to actually go out and kill God with a chainsaw.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
You are Destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Awesome View Post
The Boss and the Ending opened up the concept of the Malevolent God and alternate ideas of creation to me for the first time. It really was that kind of pulling back the curtain on the Wizard moment, where after I beat the game I went and sat on my porch for a while, my brain buzzing about the parallelism between this wonderful game that I just finished and my Christian life up to that point.

The next day in Sunday School I got into an argument that lead to a mutual shouting match between myself and my pastor concerning creationist theory and God's sudden shift in attitude from Old to New testament. He couldn't answer anything with any logical satisfaction, and resorted to all sorts of circular logic. When class got out, it occurred to me that this man who has dedicated his life to his faith couldn't calmly answer the simple questions of a ten-year old. I honestly loved this incredibly kind man up to that point, and now all I had was this resounding pity that he had stopped looking for answers so that he could feel safe with an explanation that couldn't satisfy a kid like me.

When I home, I told my mother what happened in very calm tones and asked if I could stop going to Church. We did.

Seriously, Sanagi's story was better. Glass Sword though. Man, that thing was brutal. =V
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Superman's Pal

Aw man, this was my least favorite of the game boy Sagas. Grinding took way to long. But what the hell, we doin' this.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 AM

So I keep wandering out of town and fighting lizards for a net gain of 2-5 GP after healing until I run into a REDBULL and promptly have half of my party slaughtered. Now, even with winning skills like that, I figured the Redbulls were a bit beyond my abilities and run when I encounter one, but between level up potions and new weapons, it looks like I'm already fighting a losing resource battle here.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Organ Grinder

Get all the grinding for your humies out of the way in the first world when you get the Kings Sword and use all your monies to buy Spellbooks for your mutes. You'll rule everything.

What happaned to Coinspinners Legend 2 thread? His play echoes my memories exactly (WTF everything is too hard all of a sudden run awaaay) so I want to see how he gets past Odin and the ensuing gauntlet. I never did. Enlighten us!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Wretched Fellow

Where did you guys get this game? It hasn't been sold in 15 years. The admittedly shallow well of local Gamestops has turned up dry, too. Are you all folks who happen to have it from years back? I want in on this, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. If anybody has an alternate methods of getting ahold of this game, drop me a PM, if you would.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Superman's Pal

Ok, this game is much more frustrating than I remember it being. I don't know if I can do this. None of the balance from Legend 2 is here, its just a big mess. Mutants grow fast, but not in any controllable way, Humans require way too much money to advance and Monsters suck way more than usual. The resource battle in the first world takes forever to overcome. Call me next month of Legend 2 or Saga Frontier (or Romancing Saga 3! it has a kung fu lobster!).
Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Loves to overthink.

I'm going to check to see if I can get this locally. If not, I'll just wait until we hit RSG, SGF2, or god forbid USG.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Fear the Dragon of Dojima

Yeah I think I will pass on this one and give the alt a shot. I was never a fan of FFL even when growing up (I still haven't finished it to this day).
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 AM
Wretched Fellow

Okay, I've done a little research. Apparently, most people recommend that you create a party of two humans, a mutant, and a monster. The monster apparently takes a bit of planning. Basically, if you have it eat meat from weaker monsters, it makes your monster weaker. So you have to be careful. I'm still looking for info (and the game). If there's a table or something that points the path to the best monster, that would be helpful....

Last edited by alexb; 12-12-2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Found the game through alternative means. Ready to rock. But first, sleep.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Awesome!

This was the first console RPG I ever played. I have lost count of the number of times I've played through it, but it's certainly in the double digits (including once with just one character). In my defense, I was a kid for most of those playthroughs. Plus, it's pretty short. Anyway, the odds are very good that I can answer any question anyone might have about it.

I think it's sort of overthinking things to complain about the leveling and so on. It's really NOT a difficult game (although it sure was to my inexperienced twelve-year-old self!); you don't need to do much level-grinding unless you really want to--you will gain sufficient cash/meat/mutations in the regular course of the game. Really. You especially shouldn't sweat monster leveling--eating meat more or less at random will certainly net you some dud monsters, but their abilities WILL trend upwards, and by the time you get to the last level, you'll hardly be able to AVOID getting super kickass monsters that you don't even meet as enemies. The game isn't hard enough that they have to be super-optimized at all times (and unlike FFLII, they aren't worthless until towards the end of the game). If you want a boost at the very beginning, though, choose a redbull as your main character (or a wererat as one of your subsidiary characters). Those guys do mad damage in the first world--plus, if I remember correctly, making one or the other (not sure which) eat the meat from the p-frog sub-boss will turn him into an oni--an enemy from a higher level of the tower. Pwned!

Now, my pointless and discursive opinions. FFL is definitely...crude in many ways, and my high regard for it is tainted by nostalgia. That goes without saying. But I really think the game HAS something that a lot of games don't. The dark, minimalistic story arcs are quite evocative in their own way (especially in the world of ruin), and how ABOUT those weird, inexplicable areas you come across in the tower? The mini-island area near the bottom where everyone lives an idle existence? The place before the sky world with all the statues? The old man in the hut in the field (apparently Ryu-O, though it's all very vague) that gives you excalibur? And HOLY HELL, how about the area with the dead children and the diary that refers to characters who never appear in the game? Insanity! They were clearly going for some abstruse religious allegory, and damned if they don't sorta kinda succeed. No, it doesn't add up to anything particularly coherent, but it's still super-interesting, for my money. Of course, FFLII is a better game by any objective standard (and I'm a big fan of it as well), but there's just something about the original...

Anyway, that's all. I'm sorry for blighting this thread with my half-mad ramblings.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Where did you guys get this game?
I got it a week ago on eBay for about ten bucks. But with a game of this vintage emulation is no moral crime. In fact, I may decide playing it on GBA is too annoying and emulate it even through I bought the cart specifically for this purpose.

Yeah, what do you think about that, ESA? HUH?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Bald Gendou

I really hate you guys for making me want to play this.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
But with a game of this vintage emulation is no moral crime.
Yeah, what do you think about that, ESA? HUH?
This is one of those games that I can't imagine playing without the turbo button locked down.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I legitimately enjoyed FFL3, but I never played the first two...I might give it a shot once finals are over.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Bluh Bluh

I can honestly say that this is the Fun Club that made me rejoin, if only because of all the memories I have of this game. And FFL2, but those don't come into play until whenever this game finishes.

I remember back in the halcyon days of my youth, we had just moved up north to where my family currently resides, and we were scoping out the Wal-Mart. By scoping out, I mean my Mom was picking up random stuff we needed around the house, and I found myself wandering back to the games section, as I do. Natural instinct, I swear. Back in those days, I had one of the Game Boy bricks, a clear one, and I had money to burn.

But just about everything was entirely too expensive for me. Not to mention I really couldn't be sure of the quality for most games. But after my 100th run through of Metroid II, even Battleship would have made me happy. That view would change when I actually received GB Battleship. Lucky for me, though, my mom noticed a special sale, three games for about $25. I only had $20 at the time, but my mom, in her absolute kindness, would spring for the last one. The three games in question? Final Fantasy Legends 1 and 2, and Final Fantasy Adventure.

Years later, I can say that these are the games that pulled me into RPGs, being far too poor to afford a console myself until just before the Gamecube was released. Many are the hours I wasted away playing FFL2 and FFA.

FFL1 was entirely too eh for me though. It wasn't my first time playing the game, a babysitter of mine used to own it, but it also never really struck me as fun. My characters were always too weak to just run through the worlds with minimal grinding, and my 12 year old self couldn't stand the amount of fighting it took to even reach the point where my humans were easily breezing through the world. Mutants were entirely too random for my tastes, though useful, and monsters just seemed eh.

A lot of FFL1 still sticks with me though. The weird half-worlds that have already been mentioned, Suzaku's world, and even the final area of the world. It could be an eerie game in it's own right, at least to me back then, and I still enjoyed it, even if 2 was worlds above 1 in every respect possible. Though not the ending, since I always stopped just before killing god. Which, now that I think about it, is the exact same place I always left off in FFL2. And now I'm not sure if I even beat FFA.

Guess I've got some winter break homework after all.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Default dsfsdaf

You don't kill GOD God in FFLII, just a bunch of pagan gods. So that's all right! I have to say, the bosses in that game could be real sons of bitches--a far cry from the original, where they have too few hit points to be effective. I think that damned Arsenal may be the hardest last boss I've ever come across.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Wretched Fellow

I have to say that the SaGa games have always had a sort of exoticism to them. There's a sense of mystery to the game mechanics and the plots, fragmentary as they are, tend to be more esoteric and strange than what Sakaguchi was doing at the same time with the FF series.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Inherently Stealthy

FFL3 was the first FF I played, even though it wasn't really an FF. I still have a kind of soft spot for it, with its charmingly old-school mechanics and clumsy attempts at a time travel storyline. There's some really cool stuff there. So I think I'll give the other games in the series a shot, even if FFL1's "levelling" mechanics seem like something out of a particularly sadistic game design handbook.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
FFL1's "levelling" mechanics seem like something out of a particularly sadistic game design handbook.
Now you're catching on!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Man of the Sea

Oh my God. Back when my parents wouldn't let me have an SNES and I was trapped in the Game Boy Ghetto this game was manna. I was obsessed with FF2us, and to see the name on a box at the store was too much to take.

The fact that I got stuck in the second world didn't stop me from maxing out my party like crazy. Too bad I traded it away :<. I later temporarily traded my copy of FFL2 for this so a friend and I could catch up on our gaps in the series, so I got to beat it in high school, but when I gave him back FFL1 he didn't give back my FFL2, and then I lost the third one. Kind of a Shakespearean end.

I really, really dug the creepy bits of story in the tower. I also couldn't believe that the last boss of the Game Boy game I got stuck on in fifth grade was God. At the time I really didn't see it coming. Also, the future world and all that rot were really creatively implemented, and work better than their followup tries in later SaGa games. This game stunk with potential the series never found.

Still, the other two "FFL" games are way better, and I played the everliving out of them.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Bald Gendou

Waitasecond... There are no level up messages?

No wonder this game confused the hell out of me as a kid.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Ok, so I really suck at being a pirate. Could somebody please direct me towards a place where I could find a ROM and emulator for this? Just PM me, por favor.

Edit: Thank you, fellow outlaws. Now I can "stick it to the man."

Last edited by reibeatall; 12-13-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Bald Gendou

Seriously guys - any tips on leveling? My HP hasn't budged.

My party is as such:

Krin - Human Male
Tila - Human Female
Geda - Mutant Female
Nyx - Monster

Equipment (style) advice is also welcome. Right now Krin's got a Longsword, Tila has a Rapier and Whip, Geda has a Rapier. All the armor is going to Krin and Tila right now. Should I be doing this differently?

Other comments:
The music in this game kicks ass.

Last edited by Tomm Guycot; 12-12-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Closed Thread