The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default FC 17: Patapon

Does this game even have spoilers? I can't imagine, but mark them anyway, my little chitterlings!

Patapon
Sony | PSP | Rhythm/Strategy | 2008

Pos-ta-pos-ta-pos-talot.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM

I... am...so...in. Must not forget to bring my PSP to work tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
An Animal of Joy

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

WellI should get this game and my green psp just in time for when this is over. I'll still enjoy it.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Your life is forfeit

Green... PSP...?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Just bear with me

Every time I see this game, I can't help but be reminded by those old Warner Bros. cartoons where the tiny, badly drawn cavemen would run up to a brontosaurus and start chopping away at its legs. Then the irritated dinosaur would sweep them all away with a swat of its tail.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Green... PSP...?
Why, yes!

Also, first person who comes into this thread to say LOLZ DIS GAEM SUX gets a pata-spear in their pata-hole.

Last edited by djSyndrome; 02-27-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Fear the Dragon of Dojima

I will be picking this up today but then I leave for Daytona tomorrow with no internet access so I cannot participate in the club.

Just assume I said it is awesome and I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Space dad

LOLZ DIS GAEM AWSUM
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Ye gods this game is awesome. I just fought the first boss and now one of my dudes has a flamming spear.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
lumbering

For those who have picked it up already... Did you play the demo and get the bonus item? I'm also wondering if the save from the demo carries over into the main game or if you start over...

Might pick up the game before I leave town this afternoon, but might have to wait till I get back. But... burning type questions!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Green... PSP...?
It's funny... due to my red/green colorblindness that just looks silver.

Ha, your green psp is not very effective!

I really wish I could play this game without getting a PSP, since it really isn't meant to happen for me right now.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Gettin' dizzy

I feel the same way.
This $20 game is begging for me to buy a $200 PSP.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Maybe it'll get ported to the PS2 like most other PSP games worth buying the system over? I'm torn over whether to buy this game, Etrian Odyssey or just wait since Smash Bros comes out next weekend.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default I have no rhythm

I struggled through the first mission, and can't seem to hunt meat... I suck with the rhythm... *le sigh*
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Maybe it'll get ported to the PS2 like most other PSP games worth buying the system over?
ITT we argue what a 'good' PSP game is (hint: not Silent Hill Origins!)

Also, buy EO if you can find it, because it's getting pretty hard to find.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Honestly, the only reason I have a PSP was for the Metal Gear games and we see how ported they got(i.e. not). It just seems like there is an awful lot of porting to PS2 going on.

Etrian's been in the local Gamestop pretty much every time I've been there since it was released, so I don't think it'll be that tough to come by here.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

this game is no harder than Bust a Groove was on the PS1, rhythmically.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Space dad

For some reason the pata-pata-pata-pon command reminds me very strongly of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" in "The Nightmare Before Christmas." I've had both stuck in my head for days.

Now maybe you will too!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
I struggled through the first mission, and can't seem to hunt meat... I suck with the rhythm... *le sigh*
Oops, don't walk right up to whatever you're hunting. Ignore the birds, they're a little tricky for you now if you can't kill anything at the moment. You can't hit them if you're standing right next to them anyways.

Last edited by tungwene; 02-27-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Mueller-mas

Grr, I just got past the desert and now my PSP won't recognize my memory card. Stupid piece of crap.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEanEF View Post
For those who have picked it up already... Did you play the demo and get the bonus item? I'm also wondering if the save from the demo carries over into the main game or if you start over...

Might pick up the game before I leave town this afternoon, but might have to wait till I get back. But... burning type questions!
The save carries over everything you did in the demo into the main game.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

My guys got eaten
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I am being eaten?

My demo save carried everything over, but made me play the last demo mission again. Sucks because I went from beating it the first time on the demo to getting eaten several times.

Now I've beaten it though; time to move to fresh content.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
My guys got eaten
My guys got flambéed D=
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
My demo save carried everything over, but made me play the last demo mission again. Sucks because I went from beating it the first time on the demo to getting eaten several times.

Now I've beaten it though; time to move to fresh content.
I had the same problem. I wonder if they lowered the difficulty on that battle
for the demo. I decided to bail and replay it layter rather than have half my army decimated, though. I'm not sure what I need to adjust to not get my ass handed to me the next time. Using the defensive pattern didn't seem to help.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Mueller-mas

Defending makes a much bigger difference in the real version than the demo. If he's got his head up, retreat or you'll be sorry. If his head is touching the ground retreat from the range of his jaws or else he'll eat one of your guys. Just keep defending if you don't know what the hell he's going to do. Your spear and arrow guys will keep hitting it.

Practice keeping your beat and maintaining your guys in fever mode because when you have to cross the desert and get your cavalry it's going to make the difference between life and death. This game has one hell of a steep learning curve.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 AM

It took me forever to figure out the problem with getting past the desert.

The only problem I have with the game is that when your fever starts and sometimes during the fever, the Patapon do not repeat your command and instead say something completely different. It tends to throw off my rhythm because I am listening for their 4 beats to start mine. So I start ignoring the cool music in the game so I can keep repeating it in my head.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakanden View Post
It took me forever to figure out the problem with getting past the desert.

The only problem I have with the game is that when your fever starts and sometimes during the fever, the Patapon do not repeat your command and instead say something completely different. It tends to throw off my rhythm because I am listening for their 4 beats to start mine. So I start ignoring the cool music in the game so I can keep repeating it in my head.
I feel that this is going to be the game's major point of contention. Some (including Edge's review of the game) find that fever mode acts screwy and confusing. Save for a few missteps, I have gotten it under control by relying on my natural beat more than the game's audio cues, and have fevered through entire stages. It isn't as much a skill thing, like "who has better rhythm", though I think that would help, but more a matter of training oneself to use the right cues. Aside from your own beat, you can tell when you're dead on the rhythm with any command because the Patapons get louder and sound much richer in tone when they respond to you. Not only is it more satisfying, it lets you know you have found the right groove.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Mueller-mas

I've have this problem with fever if I switch commands when starting fever I always mess up the sequence. I always miss when to start. I've gotten around this problem by inputting the command I want to use during fever, usually attack because I defend or dodge to keep my Kibapons safe, on the ninth combo which puts me in fever mode and the Kibapons start attacking immediately. Once I get the first combo down I keep the tempo of the song in my head and can keep going.

I was afraid the gameplay would get repetitive quickly but I'm pretty impressed. There's lots of hidden things in the game that you can't just find playing the story unless you happen to luckily stumble on them on your first try. You have to explore past areas to find some of them, sometimes they open up without you noticing. I've skipped over one of my mini game Patapons and I need to try to find the guy.

This game is a rhythm game first and foremost. Most rhythm games to clear a stage you can see what notes/buttons you need to push shortly before and you have to think on your feet. In Patapon the cues and buttons take the form of enemies and obstacles and you react by picking the appropriate song to play to get past the obstacles. Sometimes I just have my guys defend in place or attack in place when there's nothing in front of them just to get the combos I need for fever and because I know if I move forward I'll get slaughtered. Sometimes my immediate objective is not to run for the goal post but do something to insure I can stay alive and outlast the situation. And no matter what I'm doing I have to always keep the beat. Thinking about the game in this manner helped me 'get' how to play it though unfortunately by that time it was 3 am and my coordination was completely shot.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Space dad

I think the fever mode confusion is totally intentional. It's supposed to be hard to keep your little eyeball-men marching to the beat when they're all frenzied.
Closed Thread