The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Your life is forfeit

Default FC30: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

It hasn't aged that well, guys! But let's play it anyway.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Nintendo/Square | RPG | Super NES | 1996

First one to ask what Final Fantasy game Culex is from gets a two-week ban!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Watch and learn

Well, this is very awkward.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Curious Young Gent

Graphics-wise, it's aged better than most! But then, I only encountered it in the late PS1 era.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Well, this is very awkward.
Hm?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Hm?
I was just planning to do a Mario RPG LP in the near future. I guess this puts that on hold for a while, as I don't want to compete with this thread...

Anyway, forget about that.

This was the very first game I played that was not a 2-D platformer. Before Mario RPG, my conception of video games was all either Mario or Mario-derived (Donkey Kong Country, Kirby Super Star, Mega Man X, etc.). Mario RPG was the game that showed me that there was more to life than was dreamt of in my philosophies. The irony that the game which opened my eyes in this respect was itself a Mario game is not lost on me.

Mario RPG (which exposed me to other genres, besides platformers) and Mario 64 (which convinced me to upgrade my systems) are the two games which turned me from "kid who plays video games" to "full-fledged gamer". I wouldn't have it any other way.

I actually think the Paper Mario games are better games. But no game has a place in my heart like Mario RPG does.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Ghost of Starman

I finished this game on the cart a couple weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I'll buy it on VC or not.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Little Waves

This is such a good video game, you guys.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Hoo?

I think I beat this thing enough times (most recently a few years ago), but it's still really good!

Even if you don't participate, at least get the music! It's great!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

When the game came out, I called every store in a 90-minute driving radius to find the best price. The numbers I got ranged from $55 (used) to $90 (new). Remember SNES pricing, guys? Anyway, I played the game to death and it was one of three games that we kept (along with FFIII and EB) when our parents made us sell off all our SNES games to afford a PSX for Christmas.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
our parents made us sell off all our SNES games to afford a PSX for Christmas.
Harsh.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Loves to overthink.

I'm pretty sure my old copy's busted so this was an immediate purchase. For some reason the tediousness of the initial parts is really standing out to me.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Somehow never played this game before. Exciting!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Remember SNES pricing, guys?
Yeah, it's why I've never played a whole bunch of these late era SNES games.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Find Your Reason

In hindsight, and with the experience of Paper Mario and M&L, I find it interesting that SMRPG feels somewhat like a Mario fanfic. A very good fanfic, designed by people who obviously like the source material and try to inject their own ideas into the Mushroom Kingdom (but still striving to live up to the original's standards.)

So, a fanfic, but still a very good one. In contrast, the Paper Mario and M&L RPGs certainly feel as though written by the creators, and are thus a much more natural "Mario" sensation.

Regardless, SMRPG's Bowser battle theme is the ultimate rendition of that particular piece, and Smithy's homeworld (which I'll always say inspired the Subspace in SSBB) and two battle themes are also very, very good.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
In hindsight, and with the experience of Paper Mario and M&L, I find it interesting that SMRPG feels somewhat like a Mario fanfic. A very good fanfic, designed by people who obviously like the source material and try to inject their own ideas into the Mushroom Kingdom (but still striving to live up to the original's standards.)

So, a fanfic, but still a very good one. In contrast, the Paper Mario and M&L RPGs certainly feel as though written by the creators, and are thus a much more natural "Mario" sensation.
You've just articulated how I feel about Mario RPG vs. various other Mario RPG's perfectly.

Kudos to you sir.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
and ermine, too

Oh man, hasn't aged well? I'm kind of scared, this was part of my untouchable trilogy of RPGs in elementary school, along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

I never got very far into this as a kid because the very concept of RPGs confused the hell out of 5-year old me. Perhaps this is the incentive I need!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post

Superstar Saga focuses on a race of sentient beans. That alone is more out-of-place and fanficcy than anything in SMRPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Oh man, hasn't aged well? I'm kind of scared, this was part of my untouchable trilogy of RPGs in elementary school, along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.
The only part that hasn't aged well is the graphics. Everything else is as good as ever.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

I used to have a crush on Geno. He was such a manly puppet.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM
:3

Quote:
our parents made us sell off all our SNES games to afford a PSX for Christmas.
My situation was pretty much identical, sans the Christmas part. So I never did get to play this, or any other classic SNES RPG for that matter. I'll definitely be downloading this on the Wii in a short while; maybe I'll finally be able to get farther than I did in my many attempts at an emulated playthrough.

TRUE STORY: This was technically the first RPG I ever played, at an SNES kiosk in some store or other. I had no idea how the genre worked at the time, so I was very confused as to why guys kept hitting me when I was nice enough to give them mushrooms.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Superstar Saga focuses on a race of sentient beans. That alone is more out-of-place and fanficcy than anything in SMRPG.
Yeah, and PiT is about time travel and poisonous mushrooms called Shroobs... but, I dunno, it's not the content description, but the feel of the games, which is entirely unquantifiable and subjective.

Edit: ...though the main villains of SMRPG being sentient bladed weapons, which is unlike any of the other games, might lead to this feeling.

Last edited by Zef; 09-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM
and ermine, too

I just got to the Mushroom Kingdom, where an NPC tells you about hidden treasure boxes. Now, I have the strategy guide for SMRPG, and there's no way you'd ever be able to find these things without a guide/FAQ. I guess there's nothing wrong with them being there, but I'm actively suppressing completitionist tendencies in the interest of finishing the game.

I did find Toadstool's ???, though. Why she would leave her ??? sitting out on a chair, where anyone can steal it, is beyond me.

Last edited by pence; 09-01-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Little Waves

And there's one right near the beginning that you only have one opportunity to get, or else you miss it forever. So if you're fairly deep into the game before you decide, "Hey, maybe I will hunt down all of these," it's already too late. All you miss out on is a single Frog Coin and a "Hey, you found them all" message, though.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
And there's one right near the beginning that you only have one opportunity to get, or else you miss it forever. So if you're fairly deep into the game before you decide, "Hey, maybe I will hunt down all of these," it's already too late. All you miss out on is a single Frog Coin and a "Hey, you found them all" message, though.
Obviously this game was ahead of its time!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Little Waves

If it were really ahead of its time, it would have cheated you out of something actually substantial. It's no Zodiac Spear; that's for sure.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Nonplussed

Any guesstimates for how long a runthrough of this would take for somebody who is completely new to it (although played Paper Mario) and not a huge completionist (albeit has to fight those tendencies back)?

I'm probably more interested in doing the Fallout RPG runs than this, and I don't necessarily need yet another RPG in the pile, but who's counting?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Watch and learn

20-30ish, probably. It's not a long game.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
and ermine, too

Eternal Sonata: not the first RPG to require rudimentary music theory for silly minigames. I'm looking at you, Toadofsky. I'd like to take a moment to share a passage from the Mario RPG Nintendo Player's Guide with you all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Player's Guide
Toadofsky: This famous composer has hit a dry spell. Try as he might, he can't come up with a new work that's worthy of his past masterpieces. While waiting for inspiration, he's been drawing down his savings. But if he doesn't come up with some dough soon, he'll have to submit himself to the ultimate indignity: writing music for video games starring a hedgehog. Zounds!
Adorable!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Watch and learn

The Player's Guide for this game was amazingly bad. Nintendo Power gave me a copy for renewing my subscription one year, after I'd already beaten the game several times, and I couldn't get over how dumb (and/or factually incorrect) much of the advice was. About the only useful parts were the bestiaries at the end.

That reminds me: The official art for this game was terrible. Just awful -- computer-generated before they knew how to make computer-generated stuff look good. Everything was so... lumpy.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Little Waves

I ended up with two copies of the strategy guide -- one I got myself, and then another for renewing. I don't remember it being misleading, though. Examples?

Edit: I found a list, but just mentions incredibly myopic stuff, like criticizing typos or flavor text.
Closed Thread