The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Your life is forfeit

Default September RPG: Fallout / Fallout 2

We're making it both, because (one) if you play the games a certain way they can be finished rather quickly and (two) because the original Fallout is older tech that may not run friendly on all modern systems.

Fallout & Fallout 2
Interplay | RPG | PC | The nineties or thereabouts

You know, I can't remember what that little mascot kid character is named so I just call him "Fallout Boy." What an insult
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Either Vault Boy, which is the official term, or Pip-Boy, like the Item you have that keeps tract of everything.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM
utada hikaru

According to the speedrun you can finish Fallout 1 in exactly 9 minutes.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Curious Young Gent

I barely learned the controls in 9 minutes. For some reason, as a kid, I thought this game was some kind of future-sequel to Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines. The view, perhaps.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 AM
utada hikaru

I still have a shrinkwrapped copy of Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines which eBay says is worth $8.52. That is the sound of retirement.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

So am I going to be the only one playing either game? Because if I'm not and you want some help, ask away. I've beaten both games and I know some tricks.

Edit: oh yeah my character.

St 6
Pe 7
En 6
Ch 4
In 7
Ag 8
Lk 8

Traits: Gifted (gives +1 to all stats at cost of skill points and penality to Skills at start), Finesse (+10% criticals, attacks do less damage)
Tagged Skills: Small Guns, Energy Weapons, Barter.

This is a build that will beat either game, also you could switch Barter for another skill like Speech, Sneak, Steal, or Doctor and still be good. Doctor is good in F2 for the Living Anatomy Perk (+damage to all living critters, +% to Doctor Skill).
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

I tried Fallout a year or so ago, but failed because it is just very archaic. I actually own a real copy of both Fallout and Fallout 2 though, so I'll try to give it another go.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Both games keep wigging way the hell out on my machine, so I don't know if I can join in on this one. I got as far as getting the water chip in Fallout (not very far) before I gave up because of the problems.

Wasn't there some 1up yours several weeks back where Garnet mentioned that there was some company buying up the rights to old games and patching them to run on more modern hardware? I seem to recall Fallout being on that list, does anyone actually remember anything more specific about this or was this is just beautiful dream of mine?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM

yeah i've gotten to pretty much the end of both then got stuck. how do i get the force fields down in the military base in one?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Eyebrow of Khonshu

I'm usually not interested in these group play threads, as I'm always right in the middle of playing something else. But oddly enough I actually just started Fallout, so I'm totally in this time. Maybe it's cheating, since I began on Saturday, which was technically August, but I don't care because this is the closest my normal gaming will ever coincide with something like this.

When I played Fallout 2 before I tended to prefer using weapons with a burst attack and getting real close to enemies, but I've been told it's actually much more effective to get a really high-powered rifle and snipe them in the eyes. Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Fuck you. That's my name.

I've never had so much fun making dudes heads' explode by sniping them in the eyes. Twice. A lucky, perceptive sniper is where it's at.

Don't fuck this up, Bethesda!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Wasn't there some 1up yours several weeks back where Garnet mentioned that there was some company buying up the rights to old games and patching them to run on more modern hardware? I seem to recall Fallout being on that list, does anyone actually remember anything more specific about this or was this is just beautiful dream of mine?
Didn't they do that on Steam, or am I hallucinating again?
Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 PM
utada hikaru

Good Old Games
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
The cool thing about GoG is that they make sure those games run on modern OSs.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinus Snake View Post
yeah i've gotten to pretty much the end of both then got stuck. how do i get the force fields down in the military base in one?
There are two types, each a different color. I forget the details but one color, yellow I think, you can walk through and take a little damage (Watch out for Dogmeat's health!), and red you have to disable by using the Repair skill on the emitter thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRofel View Post
When I played Fallout 2 before I tended to prefer using weapons with a burst attack and getting real close to enemies, but I've been told it's actually much more effective to get a really high-powered rifle and snipe them in the eyes. Thoughts?
I've never liked the Heavy Weapons. Too random and clumsy, not like a shot of a Turbo Plasma Rifle right between the eyes. Plus some of your allies like to run into your line of fire.

Anyway I prefer the Targeted Shots. Always shoot Groin, Head, Eyes. Groin has a good chance of knockdown, which causes the mob to waste AP to get back up, keeping them from attacking as much. Head has a high chance of knockdown and a good chance of knocking them unconcious, which is great for you. Eyes has a chance of Blinding them, lowering their hit chance and making them act last in turn, and it also has a chance of instant-death or just massive damage. So yeah, Targeted Shots rule.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Wow, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Also makes it seem like oddly good timing for the FC outside of the upcoming III!

For anyone with Fallout 1 and can't get it to install (using XP or whatever), I managed to get it to install via compatiblity mode.

In my earlier playthrough of Fallout 1 I got far enough to get the water chip then head out again to, I think, find the group behind the mutants and shut them down. It's been too long to remember for sure. Haven't really even played Fallout 2, just got past the trial and that was it.

Last edited by Eusis; 09-01-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Goodbye!

I've got copies way on the other side of the country. I've started playing through both, and always peter out - usually something else comes up in my life, and I set it aside.

I do find that everytime I start up, it takes me a few hours of play to get used to the command scheme again. It's fairly versatile, but sort of awkward in places. Also, there is no game like Fallout where I will spam save/load/retry - doesn't matter how lousy you are with a weapon if you're willing to play the ten chances to get you the one you need.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Sung Tongs

Fallout 2 never really captured me, but Fallout 1 was a game that I routinely played a few times a year before I got a laptop with Vista and trying to get it to run became a bitch.

The original Fallout is easily my favorite PC RPG of all time. The post-apocalyptic setting, while not wholly original, was actually very unique for a PC RPG at the time. The best asset of Fallout in my mind is its ability to be totally open ended and totally linear at the same time. You are only restricted from going to certain areas by the difficulty of the enemies, rather than arbitrary, artificial game constructs. There are whole areas of the game you can outright skip over because, in order to complete the game, you only really need to go to two or three places.

I seem to remember that if you wandered the map and let enough years go by, the game would end because you didn't return the water chip in time and/or the super mutants took over.

My strategy for the game was always to go with Small Guns. I don't remember my specific build, but I got it from a FAQ, and halfway through the game it has you abuse save/loads while going around the map to hit the random event that has a crashed UFO with that amazing laser pistol inside that does sickening damage and never runs out of ammo.

I don't think Fallout is archaic to the point of being unplayable. There is a lot of stuff that I wish it could have had, and things you could have done in the game, but considering its age, it's a fantastic experience.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
For blood and gold

I loved Fallout when I first played it three years ago (The OS X version worked great for me!), but Fallout 2 didn't grab me in the same way. It just didn't have the charm of the original.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Why I didn't buy the double pack of these games back in college for $10 is beyond me. You guys will have to relay the greatness of Fallout to me since I don't have a copy.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 AM
The Great

The first time I played Fallout, I went into the Glow somewhat unprepared and got radiated pretty badly. I had to keep reloading the game to get back to town alive enough to deal with it. And when I finally managed to survive, the radiation had cranked all of my stats up to superhuman levels. Permanently. It was neat!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
The cool thing about GoG is that they make sure those games run on modern OSs.
I don't know about all of those games, but FreeSpace 2 is freaking open source since 2002, with a very strong community, so I look askance at someone wanting to sell it to me.

END THREADJACK!

I could never get into the Fallout games; they promise the usual "it's open-ended gameplay! you can play any kind of character you want!" and then throw endless combat at you, so you either better be a combat character or have NPCs with you to kill things.

Also, nuclear war is a scary thing and after seeing things like this it's hard to really enjoy playing in a fallout wasteland.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Mad Overlord

For anyone that doesn't have a copy, both games are available on gametap, and I'm pretty sure they either have a free trial or a deal where the first month is 99 cents. If you don't want or can't afford your own account, I have a couple of sub-account slots I could set up for you if you ask nicely.

As for tactics, I remember going through one of the games with a combination of traits and perks that made targeted attacks impossible, but lowered the cost of punches to 1 AP each. Not much can survive 10 mega power fist hits per round of combat.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Starts with your heart

My mother and stepfather love Fallout above all other games.

My favorite thing to do in FII is march down to the military base and do the whole game made up like Robocop. Pity about the game-breaking bugs.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Loves to overthink.

Also you can buy the collection at Amazon or Fry's. I don't have tactics, but I'm not interested to re-rebuy the other two.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I only started playing Fallout less than a year ago due to interest in Fallout 3. I ended up loving it so much, I'm not so interested in Fallout 3 anymore. (Note that I'm not giving out an open invitation to start a Fallout 3 bash fest)

Not being a huge fan of Western RPGs, I love this game for the amount of freedom it gives you while still remaining to have a clear and concise goal. The fact that I can kill everyone and still beat the game, not kill a soul and beat the game and actually have my stats matter in how I respond to a situation or how others feel about me just made this game for me.

... It is a tad archaic feeling though.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 AM
redheads not warheads

Cool, I just started Fallout 1 after attending the Fallout 3 presentation. I wanted to make a smooth talking, pistol ace, so I used STR as my dump stat. Then I learned pistols have a min STR requirement on them. Opps.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Eyebrow of Khonshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
(Watch out for Dogmeat's health!)
Tell me about it! I just started attacking the military base myself, and I've had to reload an estimated 7,338,246,409.2 times because my NPCs keep getting murderized. Rockets and and chain gun blasts can pretty much drop them in one hit already, but factor in the force fields and the traps rapidly wearing down their health and it's pretty much impossible to keep them alive. I finally decided to leave them all outside, but you can't do that with Dogmeat. I could just keep healing him, but it takes, like, four stim packs to get him back to reasonable health, plus he just keeps wandering around like an idiot, so it's kind of hard to even target him. I realize he's not really supposed to survive the entire game, but one of my cats died last week, and I just can't stomach sentencing Dogmeat to be vaporized in an energy field.

Any thoughts on how to get NPCs through this deathtrap?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM

I'll be honest. The only NPC that survived my Fallout 1 game was Tycho. I don't remember where or how Ian died, Kuya or whatever her name was died pretty quickly (hint: she sucks), and I eventually just said screw Dogmeat with the force fields. Besides, according to the Fallout 2 manual, in the saga of the Vault Dweller, that's how Dogmeat died anyway.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
I'll be honest. The only NPC that survived my Fallout 1 game was Tycho. I don't remember where or how Ian died, Kuya or whatever her name was died pretty quickly (hint: she sucks), and I eventually just said screw Dogmeat with the force fields. Besides, according to the Fallout 2 manual, in the saga of the Vault Dweller, that's how Dogmeat died anyway.
Fah! In my Fallout saga, Dogmeat survived with me all the way through and walked off into the sunset with me.

I don't remember how I got him through the final base, but there was saving and reloading involved.
Closed Thread