The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default Piece of Heart: Majora's Mask

Since so many people are already playing this and we just had a Retronauts about it, I'll start it early so everyone has plenty of time to finish.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Nintendo EAD | N64/GC/VC | Three Day Adventure | 2000

Revel in perhaps the most off-the-wall Zelda ever.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Watch out for the hand in the toilet.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I've got the first dungeon complete and am now busy side-questin'.

It feels wrong that the game never "clicked" with me before now.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoPrime View Post
I've got the first dungeon complete
Already?

Or maybe it's just me who does everything he possibly can in and around Clock Town right away, and only goes into dungeons when all other options have been exhausted.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM
utada hikaru

Man my friend lent it to me BUT HE FORGOT TO GIVE ME THE EXPANSION PACK.

FUCK DUDE

Probably going to love this game though.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I'm doing this one differently: I did as many of the sidequests as possible before even setting one foot outside of Clock Town, then did the exact same thing before even setting foot inside Woodfall Temple, which I am about to start. You can do all but the very last two things in the Anju and Kafei sidequest without ever leaving town, but to finish the quest requires the Hookshot. Also, some of the quests you can do in Clock Town are mutually exclusive. I ended up having to go through about four times.

I have six hearts and I haven't started the first dungeon yet. I could have seven, but I don't care for the minigames. I also ended up with 1500 rupees in the bank.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Last night I cleared the bits where the deku scrub is forced upon you, and then just screwed around with sidequests for awhile.

I love this game so much.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Oh man I wish I had my N64 or GC right now I would be so on this. Hopefully I'm going up the hill to my parents' house in a week or so and can get one of them.

Which one should I pick up, the original or the port? Are there any major differences besides the controller?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 PM
oh my car

The Gamecube version has some mild bugs. Rare random crashes, slowdown, discoloration, locks up if the explosion from a powder keg is on-screen. Otherwise, they are identical.

Wii version is just like the N64 version - no bugs or anything - except rumble is unsupported (whereas it was supported in the Gamecube version).
Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Mr. Jackpots

This is a good video game.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The Gamecube version has some mild bugs. Rare random crashes, slowdown, discoloration, locks up if the explosion from a powder keg is on-screen. Otherwise, they are identical.
The GameCube version is also much easier on the eyes; on the N64, it can be hard just to make out Link's face at times. I assume the Virtual Console version is even comelier.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Hrm. I just realized I might have to go with the GC just because I'd much rather have access to my GC library than to my N64 library.

Ok, I'll try and stop derailing the fun club now.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
The GameCube version is also much easier on the eyes; on the N64, it can be hard just to make out Link's face at times. I assume the Virtual Console version is even comelier.
Well, yes, of course the 'Cube version runs at a higher resolution than the N64 version. However, it's the same resolution as you get on the Wii. Both ports even support progressive scan (though you have to hold B at boot to enable it on the Gamecube).
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Spelunker Die

I started this up last night on VC and then realized I really can't play RPGs it is, shut up on emulation. I've been wanting to play this game forever and all the talk about it recently has really gotten me excited to restart it, so I guess I'll have to dig out my N64 and give it a go.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
professional bog man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
I started this up last night on VC and then realized I really can't play RPGs it is, shut up on emulation. I've been wanting to play this game forever and all the talk about it recently has really gotten me excited to restart it, so I guess I'll have to dig out my N64 and give it a go.
Why can't you play this particular genre through emulation? Just curious.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Quote:
MAJORAS MASK BE AN ARR PEE GEE.
No it isn't.

I can tell because majora's mask isn't boring.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:02 PM
A No.1

I'm really tempted to pop my Gamecube disc into the Wii...but I have Valkyria Chronicles to play, and Wario Land 2 just arrived in the mail.

I hate you guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:
I started this up last night on VC and then realized I really can't play RPGs it is, shut up on emulation.
Why not?

I'll be a latecomer if I get here at all. Sorry, guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Spelunker Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobservo View Post
Why can't you play this particular genre through emulation? Just curious.
Majora's Mask in particular doesn't seem right because I'm not using an N64 controller. They break my hands but it still feels wrong with a Classic Controller. In general though I prefer being closest to the original experience as I can. I can't bring myself to play console games on anything other than a TV. That's why I can't play games emulated on PC and don't play any handheld ports if I can get an original copy. I'm pretty tolerant of VC and I do use it to play things like Megaman or Castlevania, but for RPGs it still doesn't feel right to me.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

That makes sense in the context of majora's mask, I guess.

But in most RPGS everything consists of picking items from menus. How can that be ruined by the feel of a controller?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Spelunker Die

The controller doesn't really bother me in most games, just in this case. The absense of a controller for PC emulation has always been an issue, but the biggest issue usually is that I just prefer getting the original experience. Virtual Console has broken that thought for most games but for RPGs I still feel it.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM
who's she

I didn't really like this one the first time around but I'm trying to approach it unjaded and unbiased. I intend to see it through to the end this time. I have recorded some thoughts from the first couple hours:

At its worst, Majora's Mask is like playing a Zelda game while a stern-faced fellow with a clipboard watches over your shoulder, breathing noisily, and occasionally making disapproving little noises when you miss something important.

It is often remarked that the time travel recursion idea in Majora's Mask is similar to the movie Groundhog Day. Another parallel worth mentioning is the Larry Niven short story Inconstant Moon, which is about choosing how to spend your final hours in light of an impending cosmic apocalypse.

The time mechanic is interesting once you know what you're doing, but it really gets off on the wrong foot. The hide and seek game ends at sun-up no matter when you start, so it can seem unwinnable if you start during the night. Then you have to wait until the third day's midnight to get into the clock, which means screwing around for a while, and since you don't have the Ocarina yet you can't even speed up time. Right off the bat it seems designed to be annoying, alternately forcing you to hurry up or waste time.

I don't find Deku Scrub Link to be much fun as a game character, and this makes the early parts of the game a chore for me. His helicopter jump depends too much on the placement of launchers to be fun. It always seems to stop just short of getting you anywhere interesting. Wind Waker re-used the plant-based launching and gliding idea, and made it a bit more interesting by adding the wind control aspect, but I didn't like it a whole lot in that game, either.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
A No.1

Yeah, I'm not a fan of gliding in Zelda games, either. It's too slow for my taste.

Anyway, I caved and played the first half hour or so, until the first day cycle was over. I'd forgotten how much I love when they stop everything to go to that black screen each morning. Fantastic. However, I've had my fill for now, I think. I wasn't in it for a serious play through anyway.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Then you have to wait until the third day's midnight to get into the clock, which means screwing around for a while, and since you don't have the Ocarina yet you can't even speed up time.
You're supposed to use that time to explore the town and meet its characters, and maybe score that Heart Piece at the Deku Playground. For that reason, though, it can admittedly be a little boring on subsequent playthroughs, especially since you can get all the required tasks sorted right away.

Quote:
I don't find Deku Scrub Link to be much fun as a game character, and this makes the early parts of the game a chore for me. His helicopter jump depends too much on the placement of launchers to be fun.
Twirling about instead of running, though, is totally great. Best way to get around until you get the Bunny Hood.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

The game is pretty much coasting untill you get Goron Link.

Goron Link is awesome. This is a FACT.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
The game is pretty much coasting untill you get Goron Link.

Goron Link is awesome. This is a FACT.
But not as awesome as Zora Link! This is also a FACT!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Spelunker Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Then you have to wait until the third day's midnight to get into the clock, which means screwing around for a while, and since you don't have the Ocarina yet you can't even speed up time. Right off the bat it seems designed to be annoying, alternately forcing you to hurry up or waste time.
That's why you dance with the scarecrow in the observatory and go to the 3rd night immediately.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Little Waves

Goron Link's spinning is too unwieldy, and the mini-game associated with it is afflicted with horrible superhuman Mario Kart rubber band AI.

Making like a dolphin as Zora Link, though, is so cool.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
But not as awesome as Zora Link! This is also a FACT!
I cannot deny the awesomeness of turning the entire sea into your personal lightning party.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:39 PM
who's she

Quote:
That's why you dance with the scarecrow in the observatory and go to the 3rd night immediately.
I know that the game becomes a smoother experience after you figure out how to play it right. I'm talking about the first impression the game makes, which is that it's a schedule nazi that stops you from just going out and having fun.
Closed Thread