The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Fun Club Agent

Default July RPG: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Ends 7/24)

And now for part two of our SMT double header.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Atlus | DS | Tactical Devil Surviving | 2009

It's high school students trapped in Tokyo with a time limit and...wait. Haven't we done this before?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Mystery Contraption

This is the first Megaten game I've ever found myself anticipating. Usually I just learn that "Oh hey, this game is awesome" several months after the fact.

Also, it might be the only one I end up finishing, thanks to it being on the DS.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Cure Space Marine

Amazon said it won't ship until the 29th, and that annoys me. I've been mainlining Megaten for the past year or so, and am going through withdrawal.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I am being eaten?

Mine just shipped today, despite saying it wouldn't until the 29th.

Hooray?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Cure Space Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
Mine just shipped today, despite saying it wouldn't until the 29th.

Hooray?
Okay, that happened to me too. This is good news.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Just grabbed a copy. Let's hope the story can pick up the slack for the horrible character designs; and from what I've heard, it does.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I gots me one.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Too bad you'll skip through it all, I guess.
Is there the option?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Wretched Fellow

I read your scripts, Nich. At least half a dozen other people do, too! Take heart. Your work is appreciated by nearly scores of people.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Is this one a Nich joint?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I read your scripts, Nich. At least half a dozen other people do, too! Take heart. Your work is appreciated by nearly scores of people.
Seriously this. While I know that Atlus games now pretty much all have good localizations, if I spot your name under localization/editor in the booklet I know that the scripts going to be a cut above most of the other Atlus games (for example, while Class of Heroes and Ys have good localizations, there still a bit behind any of the Megaten localizations).

My copy gets in on the 2nd of July (supposedly), though I know my fiancee's going to play it first, since I'm in the middle of Class of Heroes.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Unreliable Narrator

I like how the default start status for these games is "Waiting for it to arrive from Amazon." Do we all hate GameStop that much?

Yes.

So is the game appropriate for my 12-year-old daughter? She's played TWEWY and beaten Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (all endings) and Knights in the Nightmare so far this summer. So far the media for the game makes me think it's in line with those, maturity-wise.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I appreciate it, guys, but I'm not having a "woe is me" moment here. I'm just a little cheesed off that eirikr is (again) proclaiming his distaste for reading scripts in a forum he knows full well the script editor haunts. Have some class, y'know?
Haha, I bought your game, what else do you want, man? It's not that I have a distaste for reading your editing -- which is great, but don't misspell Cu Chulainn's name again -- it's that the source material gets on my nerves. And that's Atlus Japan's fault, not yours.

But it's true I would totally be satisfied with a Shin Megami Tensei game that was nothing but a couple dozen interconnected rooms, each with their own mix of demons and bosses and a Cathedral of Shadows. Of course, if YHVH was the final boss too that would be totally rad.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
The Great

Quote:
I appreciate it, guys, but I'm not having a "woe is me" moment here. I'm just a little cheesed off that eirikr is (again) proclaiming his distaste for reading scripts in a forum he knows full well the script editor haunts. Have some class, y'know?
To be fair, you kind of goaded him into saying it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Fun Club Agent

All right guys let's just drop this for now. This isn't really the place or time.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Here's the ESRB rating explanation, if that helps.
This is awesome. I didn't know (or remember) they had this detailed explanation. I don't see it for TWEWY, also, so I guess it's up to the publisher?

RE: Valkyrie Profile
"One inventory sword item contains the expletive "bastard" in its name."

Speaking of bastards, I'll still probably play the game first, just because I can.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Not a Beer

But... a Bastard Sword isn't... arrrrgh.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
But... a Bastard Sword isn't... arrrrgh.
I feel your pain.

Looking forward to this one, though I don't know if I can participate in the Fun Club, as I am trying to save money for other things at the moment. Then again, not sure I can resist the MegaTen DS goodness...
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Here's the ESRB rating explanation, if that helps.
Quote:
During the course of the game, some female demons are depicted wearing outfits that expose deep cleavage
I will never get tired of this.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM

All right, I'm a little ways into the first day and I'm liking it so far. It's a bit of a bummer that there's no compendium or demon profiles, but otherwise fusion itself is very nice, with more of an old school 32-bit feel along with modern conveniences such as skill selection in lieu of random rolls. Could they finally be going out the door at last?

And what are our protag's names? Mine is Chubb "Chubs" Nubble. I guess I learned my lesson from Raidou 2.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I like how the default start status for these games is "Waiting for it to arrive from Amazon." Do we all hate GameStop that much?
Yes and no. Between the couple dollar discount, no tax, and free shipping, I save quite a bit of money buying my games from Amazon. So for me it's more of a capitalism thing than an ethics thing.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Infinity Squared!

Well, I suffered my first party wipe at the 1st Day - 13:00 battle. The boss just tore me up with his attacks... I guess I should probably get some reserve demons for when my starter demons inevitably get smacked down. I'm liking the pace so far, though.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

Mr. EB Man says that the Canadian Release seems to have been delayed until the 29th, meaning it will be likely late next week until it shows up in stores.

Which wouldn't be an issue, except that I'm leaving on my vacation at the end of next week, thereby likely preventing me from experiencing the wonder of it all until long after a multi-dozen hour road/boat/road-again trip.

Inconvenient.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I beat Wendigo last night and I did the battle afterwords and a Free Battle. I really like the story so far which seems to be a bit darker (compared to the Persona games). When do I get to start fusing and customizing stuff?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Nice On!

I guess this gets here today? I'm excited! I've wanted a portable MegaTen since Persona 3 (and all you people) turned me onto the franchise.

I just hope I can stay focused on it to get at least a large bit of the way through it.

How's everyone finding the difficulty? Granted, I know we have some, you know, MegaTen savants about, but I dunno. I heard that your choices can affect how hard battles are? Which worries me, as I always try to pick what sounds like what I would pick in games like this, and I'd rather that not screw me into a battle I can't beat.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Spelunker Die

My copy just unexpectedly arrived. I'm not really into the whole portable gaming thing but I'm excited to be going into a MegaTen game and knowing absolutely nothing about it. The only exposure I've had to this game so far is bitching about the designs, which I kinda like. They're not Kaneko quality but they're still distinct and interesting.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Your life is forfeit

Oh neat, the only videogame I've bought in a month and Amazon managed to mutilate the packaging for me.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Infinity Squared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
I beat Wendigo last night and I did the battle afterwords and a Free Battle. I really like the story so far which seems to be a bit darker (compared to the Persona games). When do I get to start fusing and customizing stuff?
You may have already found this out, but you'll get Fusion available to you before the next story battle. It's nice being able to choose fused skills, but on the other hand, the way slots are set up it's rather limiting, and magnetite doesn't seem to build up all that quickly. Tradeoffs.

I've made my way to the start of the 2nd day, and I'm really liking the pace. I'm starting to get afraid of as the game goes on, I'm going to have to give up some important story events and such... but I guess that'll be left for second and further playthroughs.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Mueller-mas

Best Buy doesn't have it? Guess I'll have to go with Amazon.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Oh man 2nd day battle to save Keisuke and Midori is some tough shit. I ground a bit near the beginning and then coasted through everything post 1/13:00 but for this battle I am well and truly screwed. It is the damn l.17 Jack Frost and all the flipping Toubyous.

Hate them so MUCH.

This game is awesome. I did not know you could skip dialogue, but wouldn't if I could. So far, my favorite conceit in-series.
Closed Thread