The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default Piece of Heart: Link's Awakening (Ends 8/18)

Alright, now for the first portable one. Also a contender for the best one by some.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Nintendo EAD | GB/GBC | Adventure | 1993

Dream a beautiful dream.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I just played through this a little while ago, but I can see no harm in playing through it again. it's quick and breezy!

and cute.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

This game and Oracle of Seasons are the main two reasons why I wish the DS could play GBC games. I've been itching to play this, and I still have my copy, but I don't have a GBA or GBASP anymore. (And, for some reason, I'm having trouble getting the DX version working on my PSP's GB emulator.)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I never "got" Link's Awakening.

At all.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM
who's she

I liked it okay, but it's not one of my favorites. I appreciate some of the things it does(mixing and matching items is a particularly cool twist on the formula) but for various reasons the game doesn't add up to a fun experience the way Zeldas 1 and 3 do. I've never finished it because I never felt like putting in the effort to figure out the last boss.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Clickclickclickclick

Since the sun goes down around the time I get off work, I started this last night and I'm already working on collecting the golden leaves. It is indeed quick and breezy, as mopinks said.

I'm appreciating a lot of what Nicola mentioned in his article all over again, as if for the first time: especially the dense overworld! I remember thinking it was packed with secrets as a kid, and now as I'm wandering through again and remembering "bomb that wall, pegasus boots that tree..." I'm finding it really IS that packed. This makes me happy.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

I never played this as a kid (did have a gameboy), so I was LttP. I played it on an emulator in college, got all the way to the very end ... and then it glitched on the ending. My screen froze with the Wind Fish half revealed. I considered it karma for my youthful piracy. If Nintendo ever wises up and gives us a GB VC, I'll attone for my sins by getting this day one.

That said, while I remember liking the game a lot, my experience didn't make me OMFG love this game like most of the Internet. But I would still probably call it the best portable Zelda.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I like this game more than aLttP, and yet I've owned it since the DX release and still haven't finished it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Oh man, I couldn't make time for a Link to the Past, but I sure as hell will make time for this. It's my favorite game in the series... if not my favorite game, period.

My only real complaint is that managing your items is a pain. Even though LttP only let you switch one item at a time, the SNES also had enough buttons to map the Pegasus Boots and Power Bracelet to their own button, plus the shield was automatic instead of manual. Being able to reassign your sword was a wise decision on the part of the developers, because the Game Boy just doesn't have the buttons for a better solution.

As an aside, I do really like that, although Link's Awakening is a step back from a Link to the Past in a lot of ways, it also advanced the series in its own ways, which is pretty impressive for a Game Boy sequel to an SNES game. Aside from the Rock's Feather, the way you use the shield is far closer to the future 3D games than the games before it, as is the way you use the Ocarina. Also Bomb Arrows are the best thing.

Speaking of which, I really liked Wind Waker's graphical style, so when Twilight Princess came out I felt like Nintendo had caved in to fan pressure. When I got it, I was prepared to hate it, but then I got the bombs and the game mentioned using the R button to combine them with your arrows, I grinned from ear to ear. Basically, Nintendo, you can keep doing whatever you're doing as long as you toss in little allusions to old games I like in your newer games.

Now the only question is, do I play this on my SP, my Game Boy Player... or my old gray brick?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Watch and learn

I have no idea where my Link's Awakening cartridge is. It vanished into the aether the last time I cleaned my room.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I'm also in the no GB/GBC player camp, though I'd love to play this.

Actually, from the sounds of it, what I'd really love is a DS port that lets you assign more buttons.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Oh man, I just replayed this. It's easily my favorite portable Zelda, and I only count Majora's Mask as better overall. Aonuma called it the quintessential isometric Zelda game, and I completely agree. I never got Zelda 1 or 3 the way I get this game. It's just perfect.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

You've got a Guardian Acorn! It will reduce the damage you take by half!

You got a Piece of Power! You can feel the energy flowing through you!

etc
Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I usually go out of my way to avoid acorns and pieces of power just so I don't have to see those messages. it's a fair trade!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM

I always grab the Pieces of Power, because a couple seconds scrolling through a mandatory message is worth it when it makes your sword swings blow enemies back like a bomb explosion.

Once you get the Red Tunic, you can basically ignore them all though.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

I played through the DX version on a Game Boy Player a few months ago, maybe even up to a year ago. It was actually the first time I played through a Zelda game mostly without a guide, and had fun finding out most everything for myself! I only needed to use a quick FAQ lookup once [ when I didn't notice the owl that would tell me that I could use the steel ball to knock down pillars ].

I don't feel too inclined to play through it again here -- but I'll check up on the thread regardless. Everyone, have fun!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I got the DX version with my Game Boy Color, I'd play the first Zelda on my cousin's NES but this was my first Zelda game of my own. It was also the first game I ever wrote an FAQ for! By which I mean hand wrote. I don't even know how long the thing was!

Anyway, I have only vague memories of the game so I'll definitely play it this week, if only to reload the old save states.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

This was the first game I sequence broke, getting into the eighth dungeon before doing the seventh. Stupid pillars.

Edit: I should clear that up: the pillars were stupid, but I broke sequence because I couldn't get to the keyhole. I didn't learn about the rooster until after I beat the next dungeon.

Last edited by Lucas; 08-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post

etc
Those things were worse than "You got five rupees! Money is used to buy stuff!" from Twilight Princess, because at least you only had to read those once per play session.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

As I was moving stuff into my new apartment, I found my Gamecube with Game Boy Player attached and tried to run my copy of this game... with no success.

Looking back on this game, though, reminds me how I can't really stand the font it used, especially when compared to the Oracles games. It's like it's all in italics or something.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Media Sellout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Those things were worse than "You got five rupees! Money is used to buy stuff!" from Twilight Princess, because at least you only had to read those once per play session.
I never understood that. I want to assume that it was some sort of glitch where it didn't save that you had seen the message before when you quit the game, but maybe it's possible that Nintendo thinks it's players are just that dumb.

It's kind of sad that the series went from something like the NES games, where there would often be NO clue at all where to bomb, what the whistle does, etc., to a game that reminds you what a rupee is every goddam time you start a new game.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM

You make it sound like being indecipherable is an asset. I don't particularly enjoy having to bomb every wall and having to use the candle on every god damn bush I come across.

Anyway, I managed to beat the first two dungeons. Bow Wow is awesome and I almost wish I could take him with me for the rest of the game too.

I want to punch whoever made the Bow cost 980 rupees in the dick, though. I know I can steal it, but having the Wind Fish call you "THIEF" really takes away from the ending, so I'll pass, thanks. I could play the crane game 50 times, but I figure I can just wait. It'll mean those 20/50 rupee chests you find in dungeons will finally be useful for a change.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know for a fact if you even need the bow to beat the game?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroNinja View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know for a fact if you even need the bow to beat the game?
There's a puzzle in Turtle Rock that you need the Bow for, but I can't remember if you need to solve it or not to progress.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Media Sellout

Quote:
You make it sound like being indecipherable is an asset. I don't particularly enjoy having to bomb every wall and having to use the candle on every god damn bush I come across.
I just think it's funny that they went from one extreme to the other. I think that LttP (and maybe LA, but I don't remember) gave you just the right amount of information. The earlier games were too obtuse, and the later ones hold your hand too much. Or just act like you are a moron who can't remember what the shinies are for.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM
who's she

It always reminds me of the Simpsons scene where Homer finds money in the couch and is disappointed that it isn't food until his brain-voice reminds him that "money can be exchanged for goods and services."
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I'm pretty sure that you can beat the game without the bow, but it's a lot easier to just buy it. Collecting 980 rupees goes a lot quicker than you might expect.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Little Waves

The puzzle in Turtle Rock that requires the bow gets you a key, and you need that key.

Interestingly, you need the bow to kill the Gohmas in the Catfish's Maw, but there's actually no need to fight them at all. So the game really just expects you to have amassed 980 Rupees (plus 200 for the shovel, and maybe some potions and bombs) by the time you get to the final dungeon. And if you neglect to make the purchase, the room just north of the where you need the bow has an exit leading to a convenient warp back to Mabe Village. I think it's more than reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
I usually go out of my way to avoid acorns and pieces of power just so I don't have to see those messages. it's a fair trade!
Their effect only wears off if you get hit after a certain duration, and while it's generally easy in a Zelda game not to take a hit, I sometimes do so on purpose just to knock off that looping five-second power-up tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
Looking back on this game, though, reminds me how I can't really stand the font it used, especially when compared to the Oracles games. It's like it's all in italics or something.
I love the scripty look. It's much more whimsical and fantasy-like than the Oracle games' "Look, it's Arial. Go to bed."
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

This was the only Zelda game I've played through and beat, until this year when I beat Phantom hourglass. I loved the hell out of this game back on my old brick gameboy... Guess I better bust out the PSP (I wonder if I'll have the same problem with it as Rosencrantz)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
I want to punch whoever made the Bow cost 980 rupees in the dick, though. I know I can steal it, but having the Wind Fish call you "THIEF" really takes away from the ending, so I'll pass, thanks.
If you don't care about going for a perfect "000" no deaths record, you could steal the bow, go back in, and let the shopkeeper kill you. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure after dying via the shopkeeper, the people stop calling you "THIEF" and the keeper pretty much forgets you stole from him.

Also, you have to steal to get one of the album photos in Link's Awakening DX anyway, so you might as well make the steal worth it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man Master View Post
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure after dying via the shopkeeper, the people stop calling you "THIEF" and the keeper pretty much forgets you stole from him.
As far as I remember, they still call you THIEF. At least they do that in my old savegame and I don't get zapped when I enter the shop. Maybe they changed it in DX, but I only have the original release.
Closed Thread