The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Fun Club Agent

Default FC 63 Alt: Super Castlevania IV (Ends 9/27)

Not a fan of Mario RPGs? Then have some Castlevania goodness.

Super Castlevania IV
Konami | SNES/VC | Whipping Platformer | 1991

This is one of my favorite games of all time, guys. Just sayin'.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Little Waves

I've watched this like four times now.

I like playing it myself, too, of course, but it's so long and arduous that I've never really committed to memorizing all its out-of-nowhere sucker punches and deathtraps. So even with the multi-directional whip, it's still one of the more difficult games in the series for me.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post

I like playing it myself, too, of course, but it's so long and arduous that I've never really committed to memorizing all its out-of-nowhere sucker punches and deathtraps. So even with the multi-directional whip, it's still one of the more difficult games in the series for me.
Weird; it's the only action CV that I've beaten, and I've beaten it a ton of times. I probably just played the shit out of it because it was one of the first SNES games that I bought.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

This is it, my favorite Castlevania. Fun, great atmosphere, great sound effects, great music, and best of all, you can go THROUGH A ROOM.

Like Mega Man 2, this is one of my go-to games when I'm bored.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

I've never gotten much farther than the ballroom. All I can remember is those flashing blobs that elongate when you kill them and then DEATH.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Business Man

I love this title, and I would replay it again, but I can never get past the spinning blades of instant death in Stage B.
Watching Brickroad do it so easily was super upsetting.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I've never gotten much farther than the ballroom. All I can remember is those flashing blobs that elongate when you kill them and then DEATH.
Paula Abghoul and Fred Askare compel you to push forward!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM

I'll repeat my anecdote from the last CV thread we had that I found it interesting to try playing using only horizontal whips. I wonder if the game was designed without the multiwhip and then it was just added in late. On one hand you can really cheese enemies in certain sections using the multiwhip, but on the other hand the game is surprisingly almost as easy without it.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I'll repeat my anecdote from the last CV thread we had that I found it interesting to try playing using only horizontal whips. I wonder if the game was designed without the multiwhip and then it was just added in late. On one hand you can really cheese enemies in certain sections using the multiwhip, but on the other hand the game is surprisingly almost as easy without it.
Watch that retail screener I linked to above. The footage is very, very beta but Simon does whip up, at least. I've wanted to challenge myself to doing horizontal whipping only, but fun always overcomes all.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikr View Post
This is it, my favorite Castlevania.
Yes. A thousand times yes.

Quote:
great music
This is the element that really sets the game apart. While there's a similarity in genre staples, the soundtrack is one thing that was so unusual for its time and still hasn't ever been replicated. There's nothing really "rockin'" here, except for perhaps the obligatory Vampire Killer. It's serene. It's jazzy. It's moody. And I can honestly say I've heard nothing like it since.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
oh my car

My Virtual Console version has been stuck in the goddamn cave for months. I lose so many lives getting to the end that I get a game over and get sent back to the start of the game.

Maybe this time I'll make it through.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Cloudcuckoolander

Quote:

There were some crazy deathtraps to be sure, but the multi-directional whip in tandem with the bigger sprite sizes made for some easy to strike targets. And the length was overkill in my opinion. No single run in a Castlevania game should be more than 9 or even 10 stages, and this went over the line. It just got a little boring, especially with the relative lack of challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake
This is the element that really sets the game apart. While there's a similarity in genre staples, the soundtrack is one thing that was so unusual for its time and still hasn't ever been replicated. There's nothing really "rockin'" here, except for perhaps the obligatory Vampire Killer. It's serene. It's jazzy. It's moody. And I can honestly say I've heard nothing like it since.
It's different, I'll give it that, but it mostly seems out of place IMO. The jazzy numbers are just plain garish, and of course there's no place for serene music in an old-school Castlevania.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Little Waves

The downbeat soundtrack is certainly unusual, but it's by no means unwelcome. The effect is different, but it's so potent unto itself that I, too, wish other games in the series would take after it. About the next closest thing is Symphony of the Night's atmospheric score, which by no coincidence is similarly incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
My Virtual Console version has been stuck in the goddamn cave for months. I lose so many lives getting to the end that I get a game over and get sent back to the start of the game.
You mean the start of the stage, right? Because this game has infinite continues.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Fun Club Agent

That's the thing. Not only is the music itself great, but the tracks fit the stages. The waterfall comes to mind as one of the more serene tracks, which works there. But then you have a more abrasive track when you get to the stage where the ghost couples are aggressively dancing. And the library one is cheerful yet quiet, which worked too. It very much took into account the levels themselves and embodied them in the music.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:32 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I don't think I've ever actually made it to the end of this game, but it's my favorite Castlevania. I think I left off at the BAT MADE OF JEWELS on the VC version.

maybe I'll go kill that bat!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Little Waves

The approach to Dracula's Castle is extremely short and doesn't even have a boss, but it's my favorite stage in the game, just because the music is so effective at building a mood of apprehension and dread. The approach to the castle keep is similar, albeit augmented by those torches creepily lighting as Simon passes.

The treasury theme, on the other hand, is just mad funky.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Cloudcuckoolander

Quote:
The downbeat soundtrack is certainly unusual, but it's by no means unwelcome. The effect is different, but it's so potent unto itself that I, too, wish other games in the series would take after it. About the next closest thing is Symphony of the Night's atmospheric score, which by no coincidence is similarly incredible.
Well sure, those tracks worked because those were in the confines of a Metroidvania, which emphasizes exploration, and often demands a sort of ambience on various moments. In an action game, it's just, well, dissonant.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I rented this as a kid and went to sleep listening to this. It's one of my favorite tracks, yo.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
oh my car

Quote:
You mean the start of the stage, right? Because this game has infinite continues.
I thought I said stage. GUESS I'VE GOT BRAIN PROBLEMS.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman414 View Post
Well sure, those tracks worked because those were in the confines of a Metroidvania, which emphasizes exploration, and often demands a sort of ambience on various moments. In an action game, it's just, well, dissonant.
Well, then mute the game and throw on some Dracula Battle, ya whiner!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

This game is awesome, and is the very first thing I bought on Virtual Console.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
I rented this as a kid and went to sleep listening to this. It's one of my favorite tracks, yo.
Whenever I think of this game, my mind gravitates to either this, the Treasury, Bloody Tears, or the remixed Beginning theme from CV3 --Vampire Killer is neat, but Beginning is even better. Yet they ALL pale before the music for the Slogra, Gaibon, and Death battle.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

I'm surprised I remember the game as well as I do. I haven't played it in six or seven years, and I got into the castle without dying.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
oh my car

Oh, right. It's not the cave that kills me. It's the fucking waterway. Which sends me back to the beginning of the cave when I run out of lives for some fucking reason.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Oh, right. It's not the cave that kills me. It's the fucking waterway. Which sends me back to the beginning of the cave when I run out of lives for some fucking reason.
Because they're both part of the same stage. (Specifically, stage 3.)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM
oh my car

Well, stage 3 is finally down. After all those tricky swings and jumps under low ceilings, throwing goddamn birds at me was a low blow. But at least I managed to beat the boss in one try.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Yet they ALL pale before the music for the Slogra, Gaibon, and Death battle.
This track is called "Room of Close Associates." Which is great, because it sounds like Slogra, Gaibon, and Death are Dracula's posse.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
oh my car

oh god this level is full of those flippy platforms

I hate everything
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
This track is called "Room of Close Associates." Which is great, because it sounds like Slogra, Gaibon, and Death are Dracula's posse.

No it isn't! It's really called "The Attendants' Rooms!" It means something totally different that's completely lost on that older, more incompetent mistranslation.

Yes, that was sarcasm, because I agree with you 100%. It was more a way to vent because I am sick and tired of how the game music community's weeaboo-of-the-month-club keeps changing around track titles left and right. You know Dracula's Castle, the theme of Symphony's first area? Well, apparently we knew wrong all these years because it's "supposed" to be the possessive-less Dracula Castle. Who knew Castlevania was actually a timeshare?

Rant over, sorry. It was now or never. Don't be like these people. Never assume people will want to think you're cool because you can poorly transliterate some kanji. It'll prevent a future civil war (that I will start).
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM

This is definitely my favorite Castlevania, and one of my favorite games ever. It put the Super in Super Nintendo for me, because it really showed how much more atmosphere could be achieved with the new hardware.

One place I always fear are the disappearing blocks in the Dungeon, right before the end. I don't know if they're random or what, but if I'm going to die, that's probably the place. Slogra's cheap nose attack also makes for some close calls.
Closed Thread