The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default FC 64: Deus Ex (Ends 10/11)

So choice. New trend in gaming, right? Psh.

Deus Ex
Ion Storm | PC/Mac/PS2 | WRPG | 2000

It's like a choose-your-own-adventure book, except with nanotechnology and guns.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Choosing the sniper rifle is a bad idea.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Hmm, guess I'll finally be making a character tonight rather than going through the tutorial for the fiftieth time! Well, maybe I'll do that too, I'll see how far my tutorial save even is.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Choosing the sniper rifle is a bad idea.
Also true for the mini-crossbow, which you can loot even sooner.

Using the sniper rifle, however, is usually an excellent idea. (Hey, new players! If you raise your Rifle skill to Master, it gives you 100% accuracy with the sniper rifle without any mods.)
Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Has anyone ever managed a no-kills run of this game? I tried to do that at first, but then I just didn't have enough non-lethal ammo to finish even the first level. And then the armorer yelled at me for killing people and wouldn't give me more ammo, starting a downward spiral that resulted in me simply rampaging lethally through everything in the end game.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

I've done a one-kill game, and it's tough. It mostly involved sneaking, getting really good with the baton, and occasionally just running until crossing a map boundary. Plus it lacks the malicious glee you get from using WP rocket rounds indiscriminately.

I think the first level is the hardest no matter how you're playing -- no skills to speak of, no augs, and limited concealment.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Loves to overthink.

Huh, this game's a little weird with widescreen so I had to switch back to a 4:3 or close enough resolution.

I wound up going through the tutorial again afterall, most of the times I've left it half finished anyways plus it familiarized me with the controls again (only to change them), and afterwards I decided to invest two levels into computers (to advanced) and a level in Medicine and Environment suits (Trained) along with the default pistol level. Should this be good? I kinda wanted to put points into swimming but I just don't see that being practical.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Wretched Fellow

So does Square Enix own this game now?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 AM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Oh god, this game. This game where I got scared away for good when I got to the end of the tutorial. The tutorial where at the end you have to get across a moat guarded by a robot. A robot that has an infinite number of bullets, can see through walls, and is out for your blood.

I think in the end I got across by pushing a crate into the water, then pushing it across the moat, and climbing on top of the crate to get out on the other side. Note that this was after the robot had already shot my arms and legs off. I had to be careful because this was the last crate left - the robot had destroyed the other ones.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Has anyone ever managed a no-kills run of this game?
I've got an old no-kills save up to the Paris Catacombs. I'm not great at surprising people with the baton, so it's been all about the Stealth augs and the Mini-Crossbow.

From what I remember, there are three kills the game forces you into killing at least Anna Navarre. Also, I blew the fuck out of the robots and killed animals (the dogs and Greasels, mainly).

Trying for no-kills was a nice change of pace, though. Every other time I've played this I tended to mostly rely on the stealth pistol and a silenced sniper rifle.

And Eusis, you're right, swimming is the least useful skill.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Erratic

Having only experienced the PS2 version in the past, finally getting to play the PC version is making for a much superior experience. I never realized how much they chopped up the levels in the PS2 version until now, the PC version flows so much better. Just up to Hell's Kitchen at the moment getting ready to head inside the Ton hotel - that punk JoJo won't know what hit him! Also looks like I'll be getting a grilling form Manderley when I get back to UNATCO, since I brutally murdered the journalist after talking to him, that'll teach him for being a nosy SOB.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Oh man, I'd totally forgotten the Greasels. I hate those little compy bastards and now that I remember them I'm not sure I want to replay the game anymore.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Oh man, I'd totally forgotten the Greasels. I hate those little compy bastards and now that I remember them I'm not sure I want to replay the game anymore.
Do it! Kill the fuck out of them with the Dragon's Tooth swrod: that's what I did!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
I wound up going through the tutorial again afterall, most of the times I've left it half finished anyways plus it familiarized me with the controls again (only to change them), and afterwards I decided to invest two levels into computers (to advanced) and a level in Medicine and Environment suits (Trained) along with the default pistol level. Should this be good? I kinda wanted to put points into swimming but I just don't see that being practical.
Actually, a level into swimming comes in quite handy. The level there is directly tied to how long you can stay underwater. As for your other stuff... Environment may well be the most worthless skill in the set, sorry. Advanced Computers comes in useful later, but at this stage those points are better applied to weapons skill instead.

For the first level, you definitely want to keep at least that level in Pistols, or it'll be hard going. After the first level, your choice of weapons broadens out considerably. I'd strongly recommend picking one weapons category to specialize in, and start working it up to Master as quickly as possible. For a first-time player, Rifles are the most versatile entry -- the assault rifle is a good close-quarters weapon (low damage but ammo everywhere), and headshots with the sniper rifle are a one-shot kill to almost everything at max level.

There are no non-weapons categories worth mastering, except maaaaaaybe Medicine.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
And Eusis, you're right, swimming is the least useful skill.
I hear this said a lot but I always went for it anyway. I'm doing a run right now focusing on Bioresistance instead and there have been a number of situations where I wished I'd still been a good swimmer (mainly stuff in Hong Kong and The NY sewers). Swimming might not be as useful as other skills but a lot of people make it sound more useless than it is.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
There he is!

I always found that Iusually had at least one rebreather on me, and that worked fine for any swimming sequence.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Loves to overthink.

I actually managed to clear the stage by heading straight for the commander, but I think I want to redo it anyway to find more stuff and get a bigger bonus at the end. Also, I see the game has something of a weird glitch where, if I start a new game while I'm playing one, it will carry over the items and keep me from switching between them unless I drop one, then I'm just looked to another instead.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Just Talking Meat

I've played through DX twice--once on PS2 once on PC--and both times I did a stealth/lock-picking/sniper type character. If I can find time, I might do a run where I just blow shit up for this Fun Club.

Also, DX has a really, really good soundtrack.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Wretched Fellow

Which cybernetic abilities are good and which can safely be ignored?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
It really depends on your playstyle. I tend to play sneaky as opposed to shooty, so I usually go with:

- Leg:
Run Silent is really good for stealth, but it doesn't become particularly useful until you upgrade it a bit.

Speed Enhancement is obviously great for fighting, but can also be really useful for stealth, both for avoiding enemies and getting to otherwise inaccessible locations. If you're trying for a no-kills run, or something else where you'll need to be extremely stealthy, go for Run Silent, but for a normal game, I'd go with Speed Enhancement.

- Arm:
I never really make too much use of either of these, but I usually go with Microfibral Muscle because it lets you move larger boxes, and can sometimes get you into places you otherwise couldn't get. If you were going for a heavily melee-based combat game, you might want Combat Strength, but it doesn't really help stealthy play, and is obviously useless as far as guns go.

- Torso:
Environmental Resistance is useful for sneaking, because you tend to go through a lot of toxic environments, but Energy Shield can be useful when you get caught. Energy Shield is definitely the way to go if you'll be fighting, though.

I've never used Aqualung because I've always had enough Rebreathers.

As far as I'm concerned, though, Regeneration is a must. Combine it with the energy recharging robots you find around, and it's basically a free health restore, and it also gives you more time to spend both in hazardous environments and underwater, since it makes up for some of the health loss.

Synthetic Heart is obviously really useful early in the game, when you haven't really upgraded your Augs yet, and gets less useful the further you go. Power Recirculator can help, but really, there's enough energy kicking around that it's probably not really worth it.

- Subdermal:
I can't imagine playing this game without using Cloak, it's essential if you're going to play for stealth. It costs a lot of energy at the base levels, so I always try to upgrade it as fast as possible.

Same for Radar Transparency, though it's easier to dodge robots and turrets through normal means, so it's a lesser priority. It's damn useful once the cybernetic commandos show up.

Ballistic Protection is really useful if you're playing a shooting game, obviously. For stealth, the only real benefit is letting you take more shots from the turrets if you're trying to evade them. EMP Shield isn't particularly useful, since there aren't that many EMP attackers until very near the end of the game, and you should be able to take them out or avoid them with other augs.

Eye:
Vision Enhancement can do a lot of neat things, particularly seeing through walls, but I've never found much cause to use it, though. It's better than Targeting, which is the most useless aug in the game, though the quick targeting it gives you could be useful. Really, though, you should be getting the same benefit from your weapon upgrades: same goes for the telescopic vision.

Cranial:
A lot of people are very down on the Spy Drone because of the energy cost, but I find its EMP attack essential for taking down robots in the end-game without exposing yourself. The actual spy component of it can be useful, but I used it a lot more as an anti-robot weapon.

Aggressive Defense System is really useful later in the game for dealing with the commandos if you're going to be fighting them, though.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Just Talking Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
The arm augmentations are both pretty useless, since it's difficult to get close to enemies and engage in melee combat. Swimming is kinda useless. The spy drone is a total joke. Other than that, it depends on what play style you want to go with.

Same with the skills--the only ones with little utility are the melee ones and swimming. The rifle skill is the all-round best combat skill, since it allows you to use the sniper rifle at long ranges and the shotgun for close quarters stuff. Also, lock picking and demolitions are somewhat redundant, since LAMs (grenades) work just as well for opening doors/safes/boxes as lock picks do. Master one and take one level in the other (since there aretimes when both skills come in handy). There are lots of hackable computers, so if you want to get free money, read the e-mails that flesh out the world and enter supply lockers it's a necessity.

The fun thing about Deus Ex is experimentation, since most areas are designed to accommodate more than one set of skills.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

To make it a little more challenging, I'm not letting myself use the sniper rifle this time through.

Next scope mod I find goes on the GEP gun, though. That makes it like a sniper rifle.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Indelible Inkling

Guess I'm gonna try and play this again. I have the same problem I have with most open-ended action games, where I just decide to brute force quicksave/load through anything I can't do on the first try. But now that it's x years later and my computer can run it, I'll see how it goes.

Is the sequel any good?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Erratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by periodical View Post
Guess I'm gonna try and play this again. I have the same problem I have with most open-ended action games, where I just decide to brute force quicksave/load through anything I can't do on the first try. But now that it's x years later and my computer can run it, I'll see how it goes.

Is the sequel any good?
I can only speak for the Xbox version but I didn't personally like it as much as the first game. It was streamlined for the console gamers, it had less choice in what customization you could do - less biomods and I think they removed skill points entirely IIRC. Region specific damage was also removed, so an enemy wouldn't necessarily go down with a single headshot.

The worst thing was the unified ammo system, I really don't know what they were thinking with that.. urgh. Besides all that though I still managed to enjoy it, it still has the great atmosphere of the first game and it's worth getting if you can find it cheap, actually I think it's $5 or so on steam. Just don't go in expecting it to be as good as the first game.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

Woo Deus Ex.

I always find myself using the sniper rifle, as it's incredibly versatile. On top of what everyone else has mentioned, you can one-shot security cameras with it, the only weapon that can take them out, outside of explosives, I believe. Upgrade rifles all the way and keep a shotgun handy, as they're useful when your carefully laid stealth plan goes to shit.

One upgrade of computer hacking is quite useful, allowing you to forgo password hunts and shut down security measures if you find the appropriate console.

I usually grab one level of swimming, as it lets you reach just about any underwater area in the game.

Stealth camo is hard to come by, but I generally save it for a situation that never materializes and end up with 5 at the end of the game.

I never saw any reason to upgrade heavy weapons, as the GEP can be used to take out bots at such a range that the slow movement and aiming speed don't matter.

I've tried to do a no kills run on Realistic a couple of times but it's so tedious that I always give up around Hell's Kitchen.

Last edited by JCDenton; 09-29-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Stopped mid sentence apparently
Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Erratic

Quote:
On top of what everyone else has mentioned, you can one-shot security cameras with it
Wow I never realized this until now, this is going to make my playthrough a lot more enjoyable, brings back happy memories of Goldeneye.

After being used to the streamlined health system of the PS2 version I'm not entirely sure I like the PC version's take on it. I went into the secret MJ12 base in the first Hell's Kitchen mission to rescue the chemist guy and wound up getting both my legs blown off - it took me around 5 minutes to crawl my ass all the way back to the clinic, where I could only afford one medkit. :/
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post
I never saw any reason to upgrade heavy weapons, as the GEP can be used to take out bots at such a range that the slow movement and aiming speed don't matter.
Good sink for late-game points that don't have any other use, though. It's fun being able to strafe an enemy with a rocket launcher in hand, and at that point the damage boost helps out with nasties like the giant spiderbot. I've never understood how higher weapon-handling skill makes your rockets do more damage.

(Upgrades are obviously necessary for a heavy-weapons run, but... bleh. The plasma rifle is too impractical to use since the bolts travel so slowly, and the flamethrower mechanics are decidedly unfriendly.)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus128 View Post
After being used to the streamlined health system of the PS2 version I'm not entirely sure I like the PC version's take on it. I went into the secret MJ12 base in the first Hell's Kitchen mission to rescue the chemist guy and wound up getting both my legs blown off - it took me around 5 minutes to crawl my ass all the way back to the clinic, where I could only afford one medkit. :/
I rather like the PC version's health system, it added an interesting dynamic to the game that I want to see fleshed out. The news that DX3 would have regenerating health was heartbreaking.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Erratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post
I rather like the PC version's health system, it added an interesting dynamic to the game that I want to see fleshed out. The news that DX3 would have regenerating health was heartbreaking.
What, so their idea of staying closer to the feel of the original is to copy every FPS game made since Halo? My anticipation for that game has dropped considerably.

Has anyone tried out any of the mods for the game? I downloaded the three that are supposed to be the best - Zodiac, Redsun 2020 and The Nameless Mod, looking forward to giving them a try once the main game is finished.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Just Talking Meat

I lost about 90 minutes of progress last night, because I forgot that auto save was not a standard feature in 2000. Remember to use that quick save button, friends! That probably wraps up my attempt at a replay, but I think I might try out some of the mods Osirus mentioned.
Closed Thread