The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default Day One Club #4: Mega Man 10

It's time!

Mega Man 10
IntiCreates | WiiWare/PSN/XBLA | Mega Man, duh | 2010

Boss order, debating mechanics, talking music, you know the drill. WOOOOOOO!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Watch and learn

Downloaded. Will play some later today. Starting with Sheep Man, because come on.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Outer Space Man

In my initial attempt I made it all the way to Blade Man, somewhat easily at that. Seems like he might be the way to start things off. Also, the music is HAWT.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Fun Club Agent

Hey, Sheep Man's stage is pretty spiffy so far! I especially liked the midboss once I figured out what to do.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Also, who's playing on Easy Mode? I am!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Megaman X View Post
In my initial attempt I made it all the way to Blade Man, somewhat easily at that. Seems like he might be the way to start things off. Also, the music is HAWT.
Nah, Sheep Man is the easiest stage and boss. I aced it/him on my first attempt while standing in a loud, crowded room at last week's Nintendo event -- something I wasn't able to do with any other stage in the game while in the comfort of my own home.

Also, the coolest boss/weapon interaction is Turbo Man and the ice spikes -- hitting him directly does very minor damage but freezes him in place, while dropping the spikes on the ground for him to run over inflicts major pain. I wish all the weapon interactions were that clever and intricate, but most of them are kind of inconsistent. Some weapons can wipe out its target boss in three seconds flat, while others barely seem to do anything and are difficult to score a hit with.

P.S. the bosses throughout the first fortress level will make you go "Squee."
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm playing on Normal, not because I am a man, I am a Mega Man.

Started on Sheep Man. I can get to him on one life. Which is good, because I can't beat him with the mega buster. I can close, like one bar from winning, then I jump under a cloud because I am dumb.

But next time? I have three E tanks now.

Also the A button switches weapons!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Cross posted from the Television Games thread because I didn't think to check the Fun club:

A mouse pointer enemy? Less focus on cheap deaths? Multiple paths through levels?

Guys, this may just be the best Mega Man yet.

Also what Parish said about Sheep Man. I breezed that level like it was nothing, which made me infinitely love this game more since it took me a few tries to beat anyone in Mega Man 9. Also, I can confirm the next boss after Sheep is Pump, although that might be somewhat obvious. Tempted to go after Blade next since he may go down pretty easily.

Last edited by ASandoval; 03-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Nah, Sheep Man is the easiest stage and boss. I aced it/him on my first attempt while standing in a loud, crowded room at last week's Nintendo event -- something I wasn't able to do with any other stage in the game while in the comfort of my own home.
I dunno, I initially had problems with the art just after the checkpoint with the platforms before the ladder and no way to exterminate the enemy right next to the platforms beforehand without it respawning. But I smacked down Sheep Man himself quite easily.

Also, holy crap I love the instrumentation of Solar Man's stage music.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Cross posted from the Television Games thread because I didn't think to check the Fun club:

A mouse pointer enemy? Less focus on cheap deaths? Multiple paths through levels?

Guys, this may just be the best Mega Man yet.

Also what Parish said about Sheep Man. I breezed that level like it was nothing, which made me infinitely love this game more since it took me a few tries to beat anyone in Mega Man 9. Also, I can confirm the next boss after Sheep is Pump, although that might be somewhat obvious. Tempted to go after Blade next since he may go down pretty easily.
Can you please change your post to reflect the quote above? Like, now?

Some people may not want to know this yet.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
punch a fish, make a wish

I haven't figured out a single boss weakness yet, but I took down Sheep Man, Commando Man, and Nitro Man with the Mega Buster (and some scavenged E tanks). this game is real good!!

Nitro Man's level was lovably bastardly.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
Can you please change your post to reflect the quote above? Like, now?

Some people may not want to know this yet.
Done and done.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM

love love love the new Challenge Mode.

it's even a handy way to figure out boss weaknesses!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Outer Space Man

I think it's cool how, when you've beaten a boss, that RM doesn't appear when you select another one. Small bit, but definitely neat and satisfying.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Sheep Man and Pump Man down. Really enjoying it so far. The levels indeed rely less on cheap deaths and more on providing the player numerous variations on a single idea. Best music so far is Pump Man and Solar Man, but I'll let the others sink in before doing a final judgment. A lot of crazy minibosses this time around, some cool (lightbulby) some kind of annoying (soccer man).
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

I just beat it...and was the first to do so, unlike MM9. SUCK ON IT, KEVIN

It was a lot easier than 9. The most difficult stage for me was Wily Castle 2. Liked it though! I will replay it lots today.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

I beat a few guys, and I'm taking a little break to let my thumbs rest and cool off. I tend to get really frustrated during my first playthrough of MM games, but after that they are usually smooooth sailing.

I wish we didn't have to wait until April 26 for Endless Mode, but at least it'll let me dust off the game and play it again.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikr View Post
I just beat it...and was the first to do so, unlike MM9. SUCK ON IT, KEVIN

It was a lot easier than 9. The most difficult stage for me was Wily Castle 2. Liked it though! I will replay it lots today.
Congrats!!!!! I remember that happening with you and MM9. I'm glad you passed the competition soundly this time.

In three more hours, I will be headed home to start my own attempt to finish the game in RECORD TIME (hopefully less than 1 month).
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM

only Blade Man and Strike Man left!

I don't usually have trouble with ice levels in games, but Chill Man's stage kinda made me crazy.

ALSO: I liked how getting frozen by Chill Man also changed the palette of the weapon I was using to frozen colors. authenticity!!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Mothperson

After trying, and failing at a couple stages I decided to give Challenge Mode a shot. It's pretty great! My favorite part of Mega Man Powered Up was the challenge mode, and so far these have been pretty well designed.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Just beat Sheep Man's stage, and then after trying Solar, Strike, and Chill Man's levels finally beat Nitro Man too (but only because I had an energy tank handy). I have absolutely no clue who is weak against Sheep Man's weapon, but I wouldn't have it any other way. So far I have to agree with eirikr- this game seems easier than MM9, but I'm not sure if it's because I've gotten better since then or what.

Also, what is considered a spoiler for this game? I know boss weaknesses are but what else is?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Watch and learn

All right, so I beat all eight Robot Masters, but ran out of men halfway through Wily's Castle. I'll reload my save with nine lives, nine E-tanks, and one M-Tank and try again later.

Thoughts so far!

General:
--It seems a lot easier than MM9, but maybe that's just me. I have gotten a lot better at Mega Man since the first time I played MM9, so that might be distorting my perceptions. None of the Robot Masters seemed especially difficult -- I still tremble at the thought of taking on Plug Man without the Jewel Satellite, but none of the Masters here seem overwhelming with just the arm cannon.
--There are screws all over the place in this game, compared to MM9. I had nine E-Tanks, an M-Tank, and the Energy Balancer by the fourth Robot Master.
--I don't like the music as much compared to MM9, but it's not bad. I like Nitro Man and Solar Man's stage music the best.
--I've found five weaknesses so far, and apparently I missed another one despite trying it? Hmm.
--I haven't tried Protoman or the Challenges yet. I will say, however, that the stages do seem balanced for Protoman, just eyeballing it -- there were a lot of areas where I had to wait something out, and charging a shot would have been a good use of that time. Does he still take double damage and double knockback?
--I haven't experimented with the weapons much.

Stage-specific thoughts:

Sheep Man
Weakness: Unknown, so far -- either Commando or Strike
--A good starter level, with lots of gimmicks. The dissolving platforms were fun to play with, especially the ones that had to be approached carefully lest they drop items onto spikes. I loved the enemies, like the animated cursors and the floating brains that could possess machines. I could live without the treadmills, though. It took me a while to notice that the longer you ran, the more of a charge was built up.
--The miniboss is one of those annoying ones where it's not hard, per se, but sometimes you'll do it perfectly and kill him in two cycles, and others you'll get raped by the drones and limp away with only a sliver of energy left. I need to practice more.
--Perhaps the most benign case of vanishing blocks in the whole series.
--The level is made of ones and zeroes!
--Is it just me, or do Sheep Man's sparks move at variable speeds? Sometimes they're over there in a split second, and others they seem to just drift lazily to you...

Blade Man
Weakness: Unknown -- either Commando or Strike
--Not too bad, as long as you're careful when riding the platforms over spikes. I found it's often best to just be patient and let the bad guys drift harmlessly overhead instead of trying to shoot them unless they're directly in your way.
--Those axes annoy the hell out of me. They're really fast.
--This stage has the best miniboss in the game, and perhaps the best death animation of all time.
--Blade Man seemed overwhelming at first, throwing swords all over the place, but his pattern is really easy to work out: Just run directly towards him when he's on the wall, directly under him when he's on the ceiling, and away from him when he's about to touch ground, and he'll never scratch you.

Pump Man
Weakness: Apparently Sheep? I tried that on him, and could have sworn it did normal damage, but apparently not? Maybe the lightning deals more than the cloud.
--Pump Man's level fills me with rage. It's just filled with all sorts of things that get in the way and annoy. Those waterfalls, especially, can just go straight to hell. The path branches, and even though the lower one is entirely underwater, I ended up taking it since there was a jump I couldn't figure out how to make on the upper path.
--Those fast-moving blocker things can take a lot of punishment, given how prevalent they are.
--If you're quick, you can wear away Pump Man's shield before he releases it, giving you more room to dodge. Otherwise his pattern is fairly simple.
--I like how the Water Shield barely changes Mega Man's color scheme.

Solar Man
Weakness: Pump
--A fun stage. There's lots of crap going on and projectiles to dodge, but if you're patient and pay attention you can see the safe spots. I didn't die once, a rarity.
--When did Heat Man get reincarnated as a pair of birds?
--I was near the end of the level before I discovered that you could shoot the fireballs. I don't see much profit in it though, since it's usually quicker and easier to dodge.
--The last part with the ladders tripped me up a bit, but I got through all right.
--Solar Man looked like he would have been tremendously annoying had I come without the Water Shield. I didn't really take much time to observe his attack pattern and just traded blows, so he may be the hardest of the lot.

Chill Man
Weakness: Solar
--An obnoxious stage, of course, but it's an ice level. What were you expecting?
--Two different kinds of enemies that break the ice blocks seems like overkill.
--Chill Man was annihilated by Solar Man's weapon, but he didn't look too terribly threatening even without it. I liked that he was as affected by the ice as I was.

Nitro Man
Weakness: Chill
--Love the music. I feel the need to reiterate this.
--Getting hit by a truck doesn't hurt as much as you'd think. Riding them, however, is a thrill.
--Nitro Man is definitely the coolest of the Robot Masters this time around. I loved his Eviel Knieval entrance.

Commando Man
Weakness: Nitro
--A lot easier than I was expecting, even with the return of those pit-dwelling assholes from Mega Man 9. It's one of those stages that's fun to just charge through without stopping.
--Caught some whiffs of Tornado Man's level with the giant sandstorm. It was kind of hard to tell how it was moving you, though, which is important information to have when you're positioned between spikes and a pit and are having to move against the wind.
--What kind of Mega Man game would this be without a huge Robot Master that knocks Mega Man down when he jumps? A shitty kind, that's what.

Strike Man
Weakness: Blade
--The level as a whole was not as hard as it looked in some of the demo videos I watched, but it was still plenty obnoxious. The second miniboss has earned my undying hatred, and the lockerbots made me weep, especially in the second half where they're all over the fucking place.
--The pitching machines (Ha!) simultaneously amused and infuriated me.
--This was another boss that made me glad I had his weakness. He seemed really fast and was throwing bouncing projectiles all over the place, so I was probably a good thing I was able to blow him away in just a few shots.

Skull Castle
--Skull Castle actually looks pretty cool this time!
--"Bleh, Wily's Castle... it's never as good as the regular OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST LEVEL EVER"
--Does Wily 1 have two musics? I could have sworn it did, but I wasn't really paying that much attention.
--I died in Wily 2. It doesn't seem too terribly difficult (nothing along the lines of the annoying insta-death beams, underwater labyrinth, and reverse-gravity areas from Mega Man 9), but I made a bunch of stupid mistakes and died a lot. I could have lived without putting a checkpoint right before a midboss, though.

DLC
--Yeah, it's not out yet, but I looked at the manual. The third character is Bass, as expected. He can shoot in 7 directions, and "some of his abilities may differ from Mega Man". I wonder what his crippling disadvantage is? To be honest, though, I was kind of hoping for Roll... even though the story pretty much makes that impossible.
--Endless mode costs 300 points now for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I'll buy it anyway, because I am a sucker for endless mode.
--There are three special stages.

It is a fine example of Mega Manning so far, but I haven't played enough to put it into context yet. I will say, however, that it doesn't seem quite as revolutionary (if that's the right word) as Mega Man 9. I'll have to think about it more.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
Congrats!!!!! I remember that happening with you and MM9. I'm glad you passed the competition soundly this time.

In three more hours, I will be headed home to start my own attempt to finish the game in RECORD TIME (hopefully less than 1 month).
Thanks! I was honestly surprised I did it, as the first playthrough cost me about 5 continues (some of which were intentional).

I just beat it again just under an hour. Pretty sure I did the post-RM stages without dying this time. Blade Man's stage gave me a lot of trouble this go round, though. Overall, I'd say the difficulty of this game compared to 9 is similar to the difference between MM1 and (difficult) MM2.

It's tough to say how else the game compares to 9. 9 was an event, and without that hype it comes off a little less special. That said, I can see myself playing 10 much more than 9. There's less bullshit (my complaints about the extreme jumps in 9 were addressed), fewer spikes, but there's still a high level of challenge -- only this time it comes from surviving enemies' attacks and dealing with unique stage hazards instead of cheap instant death traps. No more "jump over this 4-square chasm and if you miss, you die." And don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of spikes and bottomless pits, but if you're careful you'll be fine.

Music seemed pretty decent! The stand out for me is Nitro Man's stage, great tune there. The disappointment is that I didn't hear anything as wonderfully intense as "WE'RE THE ROBOTS" from 9.

My biggest complaint about the game is the overly long credits sequence that can't be skipped. So yeah, a pretty good game overall.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Friends Forever

So far, for boss weaknessess, i have Sheep -> Pump -> Solar -> Chill -> Nitro -> Commando? (Nitro didn't work particularly well on Blade or Strike) .

As for weapons, if you hold a Nitro blade or whatever its called and run into a wall, you start climbing the wall ... fast. I learned this the hard way on a Blade Man attempt.

The Water Shield really helped me out on those goal posts in Strike Man's stage.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

I've beaten Commando Man and Strike Man, and I've also been through Nitro Mans stage.
My thoughts so far:
I'll have to play the whole thing to get a better judgement but I feel like Capcom has gotten extra dastardly. I'm reminded of that darn met in MM9s Wily stage, the one that you land on if you fall down the screen. In general they really seem to play with the knockback/stun.

Play commando and nitro stages before reading this next bit. It's not spoilers but still.
Commando Mans stage feels too long, it would be improved by either a second checkpoint or the removal of that pointless section between the checkpoint and the next sandstorm area.
I've managed to get through it a bit quicker thanks to rush (coil), he is pretty handy during those sandstorm areas because he doesn't move.
Nitro Mans stage had a neat overall theme of evading rather than attacking. Give that a try if you haven't.
Oh and screw that miniboss in strike mans stage. No wait, I'm going back there with commando mans weapon for some vengeance.

So who are you playing as? I'm Megaman and I really miss my sliding. Does the gameplay change significantly if you don the scarf instead?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Set phasers to hug

I still haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I've been listening to some of the music on Youtube. My thoughts (spoilered in case someone doesn't want to read this): the dichotomy between this music and Mega Man 9's seems almost sort of like that between Uematsu and Sakimoto, maybe. MM9 had music in true 8-bit style, for the most part; simple themes, memorable in an ear-worm sort of way (see: Uematsu). MM10 has, or at least tries to have (haven't decided which yet) some tracks that aim for something subtler, less emphasis on 'hummability' and more on varied instrumentation, or something (see: Sakimoto). I think it might just be that it sounds weird to hear something like this done in 8-bit. Not sure if I'm putting this into words properly, I'm not much of a music expert.

Also, in silhouette, Strike Man looks just like Air Man. And now you can't unsee it.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Swag Brotagonist

I downloaded it when I went home for my lunch break and beat Sheep Man on my first try! I still have about an hour and a half to go before I go home and get to play again, and it's going by so slowly.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Sheep Man may be the most surreal Stage design/Boss Theme I've yet encountered.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM
God, THIS guy again...

As I said in the post on the main forum, add me to the list of those who beat it.

Final stage and boss were fun, if a bit too easy. I think the low gravity takes a lot of the bite out of the battle, since you can reach the capsules easily. The boss's weakness is nowhere near as tough to work with as it was in 9, either. Hell, I didn't even need an E-Tank when I beat it.

I mostly agree with Parish's review. Not as good as 9 was, still a lot better than a lot of the stuff out there. Hell, it's still a lot better than some the mediocre entries in the series.

I hate that they pulled a Crash Bomb with the Thunder Wool ammo, though. 7 shots? Lame.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

The PSN release is in a week or so, right? Assuming recent events haven't bricked mine, I guess I'll be joining you all then.
Closed Thread