The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default Metroid Prime 3, Pt. 1: Olympus and Norion

Hi kids! It's your ol' pal the webmaster here with a new Fun Club endeavor. Metroid Prime 3, Corruption! I know what you're saying -- hey, jerkface, the game doesn't come out until Tuesday, and in any case we're still doing BioShock. But I hear these murderous threats and have anticipated them. I'm posting the first thread now for anyone who happens to luck into the game early, and BioShock will keep running until the end of the week. Now everyone can be happy...

...except anyone looking forward to the alternate selection, since this week is alternate-free. So sorry.

I don't want to spoil anything, info-wise, so I won't post the second and third threads until people have actually moved beyond the section this post covers.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

You sneaky little so-and-so!

You know full well that I'm going to be without internet for a week or so and can thus not partake in the Talkin' Time styles!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Ok, so about the room on Norion when you have to activate the first generator, my friend and I were locked in that room and could NOT figure out how to get across to the otherside of the gap. Finally, after about 15 minutes, we figured out that you have to kill all the (seemingly endless) robots that come up when you're in the center. At that point, I felt both stupid and angry.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Stop:

Hey! 1up can't make you play Metroid Prime 3 before you get to experience BioShock. I call foul!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

What little of the game I managed to play at PAX was quite fun. The controls work well.

Since I don't own a Wii, I guess I'll just wander back on out of this thread now.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssunBug View Post
Hey! 1up can't make you play Metroid Prime 3 before you get to experience BioShock. I call foul!
It's cool, I'm playing it for EGM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Find Your Reason

The game comes out tomorrow down here, but I'm waiting till my trip to the US next month to get the Wii for $250 instead of $400.

Next month! Augh!

Why must my love for Metroid be pitted against my love of savings?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM

The Best Buy here had an ad in the paper. In said ad was pic of MP3 and a little note Available by 2 PM on Tuesday, August 28. You bastards, you horrible, horrible bastards!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Funny how people never seem to get how "shipping date" is not the same as "release date". I guess it would help if games weren't advertised as "COMING OUT ON [SHIPPING DATE]". I started mentally adding a day to each release date I see.

A good rule of thumb is that Nintendo games are usually available for purchase on Tuesdays and most non-Nintendo games on Wednesdays. A recent notable exception is Bioshock, which was shipped early and while different people got their hands on it at different times, my local Gamestop released it on a Tuesday.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

I really thought I would raise my $500 before Corruption was released. I even bought Prime, Echoes, and a 'cube gamepad. Bummer.

I guess I'll wait until the holidays (which will be good for my grades this semester).
Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
It's cool, I'm playing it for EGM.
Does that mean the 8.5 score was your idea?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Your life is forfeit

Uh... what?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Winning Love by Daylight

Quote:
Uh... what?
I know not, but it does hauntingly coincide with GameSpot's flame bai-... Erm... Review for MP3. But I won't vent anymore on that review (If you feel strongly for Super Metroid, don't read their review for the VC version of it) or GameSpot, no matter how much I really want to.

I'll try not to spoil anything crucial.

Anyway, my friend got a copy from Wal-Mart today, and I ran through the Norion section. I personally didn't find it too hard to get used to the controls (After Morph Balling my way into everything, it took around 5 minutes to get accustomed to it), and it lends itself to the Prime series much better than the pain-inducing setup of the original Prime games. Play it on Advanced and maybe switch the A and B buttons for shooting.

Sure, the intro was Halo-esque, but it was still pretty fun to play. Although, my main complaint is that some of the cutscenes seem pretty.. bootleg in execution. Such are <i>very</i> far and few between, but when you get the game, try not to hold any scene involving an asteroid too badly against the game. It tries.

My friend fought Berserker Lord while I fought a down-to-the-wire battle with Meta Ridley, LOTR Gandolf freefall style. Again, the controls didn't really pose a problem, despite the fact that I seriously had to rush against time for the last portion of the fight.

I just got to the first two planets of the game, and the fact that it's easy to get stuck in Metroid fashion within 10 minutes of being on the planet leads me to believe that the planets will probably end up pushing double-duty for exploration. The music is quite nice and atmospheric, with some remixes to the more prominent pieces of Super Metroid.

So far, I'm liking the game much better than Echoes. But considering this is the third game in the series, the mystique that was Prime 1 is forever lost, unfortunately, and nostalgia rules the day.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaX View Post
I know not, but it does hauntingly coincide with GameSpot's flame bai-... Erm... Review for MP3. But I won't vent anymore on that review (If you feel strongly for Super Metroid, don't read their review for the VC version of it) or GameSpot, no matter how much I really want to.
What? Gamespot gave a score in a review of a Nintendo game that seems low? Never would have guessed...

Yeah I'm picking my copy up tomorrow even though I shouldn't because I don't have the funds for it.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Gamespot rates everything a bit lower than most other people. The complaints are just silly.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

*looks at Gamespot's Super Metroid review score*
*looks at their Prime: Hunters review score*
*fully realizes why the decimal increments in scores have got to go*
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Pazaak God

As far as I'm concerned the game doesn't really show its true colors until you leave Norion and enter Bryyo. The environmental puzzles are great. I dig the lore, told once again through numerous scans. But the best part? NO HAND CRAMPING
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Your life is forfeit

Really? My hand is STILL cramped from my weekend session, and I didn't even get to touch the game yesterday. The Wii remote is an ergonomic nightmare.

I do agree about the rest, though. Olympus and Norion and extremely un-Metroid-like. But once you move into the game proper, it's like hanging out with an old friend.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Really? My hand is STILL cramped from my weekend session, and I didn't even get to touch the game yesterday. The Wii remote is an ergonomic nightmare.

I do agree about the rest, though. Olympus and Norion and extremely un-Metroid-like. But once you move into the game proper, it's like hanging out with an old friend.
So basically, the only part I played is the part that isn't like the rest of the game. Damn.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Especially Angry

I've wandered around Bryyo for maybe half an hour at this point, and it was definitely worth getting through the introductory sections. Oh, I guess I should wait till we have a thread for part 2, huh?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Wrong thread, bah.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Nice On!

I'm not much of a Prime fan, but my brother is, and I've been watching him play for awhile... seems like good stuff, I suppose... but the origins of this ball-based technology and doors that require a gun to open... I really can't imagine a world where such things would be invented. I mean, Samus is fairly large as a ball... do people really need to haul a ball about that size around to do things like turn on Security Overrides?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetfox View Post
but the origins of this ball-based technology and doors that require a gun to open...
I think those thoughts were really fresh like 5 years ago. Ultimately I'm not sure any sort of explanation is really necessary or relevant. Its just a Metroid convention.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Nice On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
I think those thoughts were really fresh like 5 years ago. Ultimately I'm not sure any sort of explanation is really necessary or relevant. Its just a Metroid convention.
You're right, of course, but I'm having fun imagining maintenance personnel wheeling around large balls on little carts to make repairs. Also, I suppose the carts would have to have some sort of gun mounted on them.

Do the little achievement thingies actually do anything, or do you just get them to get them?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Your life is forfeit

They let you unlock the bonus content, galleries and stuff. Green tokens only work when they're swapped. (DEAR FRIENDS: SEND ME SOME)

The ball technology thing has always bugged me, and it's at its most ridiculous in Corruption when you're going into maintenance passages that can only be negotiated by morph ball form. Either every janitor in the galaxy can turn into a little ball, or Samus is the only person capable of repairing a broken-down device. Busy woman!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM

So far I've only done the opening section, but man, what a set-piece! I kept expecting my shots to home in after I locked on, so at first I wasn't properly targeting the enemies, but after awhile it became second nature.

I'm only a small portion into the game, but I'm loving it so far. Thursday I'm off and I think I'm going to sink the whole day into Metroid Prime 3. I'm so close to the end of MGS 3, too... but MP3's lure is too strong.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Either every janitor in the galaxy can turn into a little ball, or Samus is the only person capable of repairing a broken-down device. Busy woman!
Well actually, if you look at relative size, Samus really isn't THAT small in ball-form. I think someone not in giant Chozo armor could crawl through morph ball passages fine.

Of course its all still pretty ridiculous.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:45 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Well I still haven't gotten around to finishing BioShock despite being only a few areas away from the end, but I picked up MP3 anyway today. I finished the Norion section, and so far it's pretty good. I wouldn't call it the best game ever made or anything, but it's been enjoyable so far. And that grapple lasso is pretty great. The only thing that's disappointed me about it is that I think that the PED suit looks dumb, and that doesn't even really matter since this game is first person. Now if only I can figure out a way to get out of my college and job obligations, then I could play more. Oh well.

Also, I just thought this would be worth sharing. A friend of a friend of mine works at a Gamestop, and they sent them a MP3 demo disc. And they started playing it, and the demo just never stopped. It turns out it wasn't a demo, they had sent them a copy of the full game. They had a copy of MP3 two weeks or so before it dropped and they all took turns taking it home and beating it (that sounds bad, but you know what I mean). Aren't they lucky bastards?

You don't even need to answer, because they totally are.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Bald Gendou

So I started on Veteran difficulty. Am I a chump, or is this okay to do? Does anyone know the differences between modes?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 AM

RE tiny maintenance passages: Non-Samus folk probably have a number of pint-sized repair bots that can go into those tunnels and fix whatever needs fixing. This is the future, after all.

Am I the only one who totally dug the opening levels? Normally in these Metroid games you're all alone, but here in Corruption you've got some buddies on your side! You can even chat with some of them! Yay! It's also cool to know you're not the only kind-hearted bounty hunter running around kicking evil's ass.
Closed Thread